Light gun games revived on HDTV!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Light gun games revived on HDTV!

Post by Xiden »

Came across an awesome youtube vid where he uses a raspberry pi and a wii mote and sensors to get lightgun games working on HDTVs! He even shows Sega Saturn and Dreamcast working with it!

https://youtu.be/DzIPGpKo3Ag

Just wanted to spread the word

Jako
Sunday Shootout
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChuRocket
Planet Ring
Quake 3
Maximum Pool
PSO v2
Next Tetris
4x4 Evo
Starlancer...

Re: Light gun games revived on HDTV!

Post by Jako »

Wow! That is very interesting!!!
I only play with that guns on the old tv of my parents house at christmas with the family. I wish to make it work on my HDTV!!! Awesome new!
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Xiden
Developer

Post by Xiden »

Ive been posting that video across my favorite tech forums so hopefully someone will pick up manufacturing since the creator of that product says he lacks the time to do so but would like the community to get this rolling :)

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post by K0rN b4LL »

Oh man if they could get that to work for the PS2 I would be all over it. I miss my Time Crisis games. I thought I was gonna have to go searching for a crt tube before I would ever get to play them again.

HuntrRose
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Maximum Pool
PSO
Alien Front Online
Q3A
WSB 2K2
POD
Ooga Booga
4x4 Evo
ChuChu Rocket
NBA 2K1
NFL 2K1

Post by HuntrRose »

oh my.. this is terrible news... :(

if my GF finds out she will try and make me take my GX TV out of the livingroom... :lol:

;)

Xiden
Developer

Post by Xiden »

Yeah im excited about this project. The creator said if no one picks it up to improve upon it this year he would try to make a more ellegant solution next year when hes not super busy with work.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them

Post by Gary_b »

I have a old CRT pc monitor in storage for this very reason, though it only works for my Dreamcast games. I do have a NES and a few guns for it too, but when Smith and I put the Nester light gun pack together I lost interest in the original NES for light gun games. It would be awesome if someone could mold a new gun and piece this all together for a plug and play solution. Given the price of a Pi it sounds like it might be a little but costly and it would only make sense if it supported multiple systems as he demonstrated it with.

Xiden
Developer

Post by Xiden »

Gary_b wrote:I have a old CRT pc monitor in storage for this very reason, though it only works for my Dreamcast games. I do have a NES and a few guns for it too, but when Smith and I put the Nester light gun pack together I lost interest in the original NES for light gun games. It would be awesome if someone could mold a new gun and piece this all together for a plug and play solution. Given the price of a Pi it sounds like it might be a little but costly and it would only make sense if it supported multiple systems as he demonstrated it with.
The creator said it could probably fit on one pcb and may not even need a raspi to work which would reduce the cost quite a bit.

SegaRenaissance
shadow

Post by SegaRenaissance »

I hope he has a patent and at least is considering branding his idea into a product. I'd definitely buy one!
Owner and Operator of Sega United.com

BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

SegaRenaissance wrote:I hope he has a patent and at least is considering branding his idea into a product. I'd definitely buy one!
There's nothing to patent. After all, he's just using the normal method that the Wiimote works to do this.

If he were to try to patent it, Nintendo's lawyers would be all over him in a heartbeat (and rightfully so).