Collecting: Original vs Burned cd's

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
MisterTipp
rebel

Collecting: Original vs Burned cd's

Post#1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:07 pm

So, most I assume most Dreamcast users have at least some burned games, since it's so easy, but what do you do with the burned discs? Hide them away in a disc tray?

I toyed with the idea of getting empty cd-cases and printing labels for them, but holy crap how Ghetto would that be, although still fun. Anyone else thought about this?

Farmhouse
lithium

Re: Collecting: Original vs Burned cd's

Post#2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Mine are in a binder... with my REAL Dreamcast games.
Back in 2003 for some STUPID REASON, I threw out all the cases and manuals, thinking just having a binder would be better. *facepalm*
I only have 3 CIB Dreamcast games and about 50 or so official Dreamcast game discs. THOSE are the discs I've actually considered making cases for... But I don't bother because I'll just be reminded of what an idiot I can be sometimes.

Oh, I also threw out the KEY for Phantasy Star Online because I thought I'd never play it online again.

Cornerb0y
stalker

Post#3 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:37 pm

I had an over abundance of sleeves from when I worked at game stop, so if I burn anything, ill usually put them in one of those.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#4 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 pm

I do not have any burned DC games.. only burned discs I want to have/burn/get are bowling and the PSO v2 patcher..

that said.. I dont judge or have strong feelings about burned games either way.. they just arent for me...

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Im not opposed to burned games. If it mentions I could enjoy the game. But I would still look to the real deal.

krssn
Metallic

Post#6 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:39 pm

For disc-based games I prefer original. For cartridge-based I like using flash cartridges.

I just don't like the look of disc backups.

BaffleBlend
dark night

Post#7 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:26 am

I'm probably going to wind up primarily using burned games... Like I said in my intro post, I'm not a serious collector, I just wanna play the games. And genuine copies these days cost more than the freaking console half the time.
Besides, it's not like buying the real deal even supports the developers anymore.

Anyway, while I wish I had a LightScribe-capable drive to label the burns with, I regrettably do not. And printing adhesive labels is just begging for unsticking and catching and disaster. So I'm going to have to pick up a pack of colored Sharpies and get creative.

...and probably put them back on the spindle after I'm done. That's what I usually do.

(I will, however, buy real copies when it comes to homebrew games/recent releases since those DO support the developers and are a lot more widely available.)
Can play online, but doesn't very often.

Avatar commissioned from Steven Borgers (here's his Tumblr and DeviantArt).

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#8 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:25 am

I have no burnt games, apart from unreleased ones, and for those I have boxes & hi res scans for cover/ inlay/booklets
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

HCRAYERT504
undertow

Post#9 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:51 am

Burned games damage the Dreamcast's disc laser.

BaffleBlend
dark night

Post#10 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:03 pm

HCRAYERT504 wrote:Burned games damage the Dreamcast's disc laser.

I think that's mainly with ones burned at carelessly high speeds, isn't it?
Can play online, but doesn't very often.

Avatar commissioned from Steven Borgers (here's his Tumblr and DeviantArt).