Scart to HDMI - has anyone tried this?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Robanach
noob

Re: Scart to HDMI - has anyone tried this?

Post#11 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:51 pm

K0rN b4LL wrote:
Hordriss wrote:I don't have a VGA cable.

Totally need a Toro, ya use the Scart cable but still get VGA picture.

Will this work on a CRT TV? I want to get an old Sony crt with RGB scart and would love to be able to play VGA signal over RGB scart directly on a CRT?

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post#12 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am

Robanach wrote:Will this work on a CRT TV? I want to get an old Sony crt with RGB scart and would love to be able to play VGA signal over RGB scart directly on a CRT?

I'm not really sure, it all depends on if the receiving device will take 480p through that port. Most upscalers should handle it fine but I have no idea about tv ports. I'm in the states so I've never seen a scart tv anyways. If it anything like the PS2 HDMI adapter then some might and some might not. (Most PS2 games only output in 480i and the HDMI ports on some tvs don't accept 480i)

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#13 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:40 am

VGA to SCART and vice-versa is doable, as both carry a RGB analog signal. Toro does that out of the box, there are other devices though (more expensive if necessary).

I use it to feed my Sony Trinitron Multiscan G500 21'' CRT monitor using the following setup:

DC - Toro - SCART cable - SCART to RGBS BNC adapter/cable (from retrogamingcables.co.uk) - G500

(or DC - Toro - VGA cable - G500 ----- I prefer setting up the DC in the RGBS BNC inputs of the monitor so the VGA input stays free for using my Desktop PC, and it doesn't affect the Dreamcast functionality: lightguns still work, etc)

So 480p over SCART is definitely possible.

As a side note, my only problem with the DC-Toro-G500 combo, is that G500 doesn't accept 15.1 kHz signals (so, the games that don't work in VGA mode at all), so something like an upscanner/linedoubler is still needed. The best and most expensive option is the XRGB-mini Framemeister, and the cheapest is a board based on the GBS8200 chip (sold on eBay). There's also the OSSC, but it lacks analog output, which is made through digital HDMI.

I think that I could tackle the problem by doing the following combo:

DC - Toro - SCART cable - OSSC - HDMI to VGA converter - VGA cable - G500 (occupying the monitor's VGA port)

or

DC - Toro - SCART cable - modified GBS8200 board - SCART cable - SCART to RGBS BNC adapter/cable (from retrogamingcables.co.uk) - G500 (thus freeing the VGA port for PC use).

OR yet another option

DC - Toro - SCART cable - OSSC - HDMI to VGA converter - VGA to RGBS BNC adapter/cable (from arcadeforge.net) - G500 (thus also freeing the VGA port for PC use).

Either way, that's a long train of devices and investment just to get 15.1 kHz games working on this great CRT monitor.

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#14 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 am

all pretty complex to me but you can get 480p through rgb scart? by using the rgb out on the toro to your trinitron? how do you see it renders 480p?

thank you

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post#15 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:30 am

I guess just switch between RGB and VGA with the Toro switch and see if it looks any different.