Scart to HDMI - has anyone tried this?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Hordriss
rebel

Scart to HDMI - has anyone tried this?

Post#1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01ER2Z1A0/ref=mp_s_a_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1479646264&sr=8-25&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=scart+to+hdmi&dpPl=1&dpID=510uXe4-pnL&ref=plSrch

Has anyone tried anything like this with Dreamcast? If you have, how well does it work please?

Seems like a potentially good solution for getting good picture quality on a modern TV, as standard scart connection looks pretty bad.

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Re: Scart to HDMI - has anyone tried this?

Post#2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:27 am

Hordriss wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01ER2Z1A0/ref=mp_s_a_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1479646264&sr=8-25&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=scart+to+hdmi&dpPl=1&dpID=510uXe4-pnL&ref=plSrch

Has anyone tried anything like this with Dreamcast? If you have, how well does it work please?

Seems like a potentially good solution for getting good picture quality on a modern TV, as standard scart connection looks pretty bad.

but why would you go for scart to hdmi when you can do vga to hdmi?

Hordriss
rebel

Post#3 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 am

I don't have a VGA cable.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:04 am

Good point. I've read where some have been very successful.

Adam Koralik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS55pmLIEjA
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#5 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:27 am

Hordriss wrote:I don't have a VGA cable.

then immediately get it!

Hordriss
rebel

Post#6 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:55 am

Will I need external speakers to get sound with VGA?

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post#7 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:44 am

Totally need a Toro, ya use the Scart cable but still get VGA picture.

Hordriss
rebel

Post#8 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 am

K0rN b4LL wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, but looking at it it's $80, which is a lot more than I can justify spending for something which I only use occasionally.

I think I will go for the Scart to HDMI adaptor as I can use it for my other older consoles as well. Probably not as good as the Dreamcast VGA cable, but should be good for a general use thing.

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post#9 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 am

Hordriss wrote:
K0rN b4LL wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, but looking at it it's $80, which is a lot more than I can justify spending for something which I only use occasionally.

I think I will go for the Scart to HDMI adaptor as I can use it for my other older consoles as well. Probably not as good as the Dreamcast VGA cable, but should be good for a general use thing.

Sorry I was probably a bit misleading with that, the Toro isn't an upscaler it just outputs a better image than using a basic cable. You would still need an upscaler to plug it into an HDMI port. The good thing about the Toro is that it has a switch that toggles between VGA and RGB video and its programmed to output the VGA signal over the SCART cable so you don't have to change cables when you get a game that doesn't support VGA. Just hook it up to any Scart upscaler like you were gonna do.

Hordriss
rebel

Post#10 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:45 am

K0rN b4LL wrote:
Sorry I was probably a bit misleading with that, the Toro isn't an upscaler it just outputs a better image than using a basic cable. You would still need an upscaler to plug it into an HDMI port. The good thing about the Toro is that it has a switch that toggles between VGA and RGB video and its programmed to output the VGA signal over the SCART cable so you don't have to change cables when you get a game that doesn't support VGA. Just hook it up to any Scart upscaler like you were gonna do.

Yep, thanks for the clarification. Still way too expensive though. As I said, my Dreamcast is only used occasionally so there's no way I could justify spending that much on a peripheral which is cosmetic rather than essential.