Dreamcast VS Link cable available for pre-order

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#61 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 am

Wombat wrote:There is no European release of VOOT ;)

That's next to criminal. At least Europe's Project Justice (like many Capcom games) didn't get as much content cut as North America.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#62 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:36 am

Huh I thought nothing Dreamcast had more over the other across the regions , censorships aside

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#63 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Nah, Capcom (or as I think of them, "Cheapcom") didn't want to flip the expense of translating the entirety of some of its games like the fighting games with additional RPG or "board game" modes, so it would chop out those modes and just leave the core fighting game parts.

For example, see this FAQ about Project Justice: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/dreamcast ... faqs/14379

ferretdookdook
shadow

Post#64 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:55 pm

I know this sounds horrible to not post for this long (I was swamped with too many credits of spring college and summer work.. and swamped with bills >_<) but whats the end state of this? VS Link cables don't seem to be for sale at that link unless it was an uber-short time thing. :( I didn't even watch this closely because i've never seen an online project that didn't literally take 6 months to even see some first prototype whatever of even something simple so I just bookmarked it for the future and figured i'd check back. (tho i'd planned to check back more like may not sept - when car is broke down that bill comes first)

I'm still looking for a usable VS Link clone or several at the right price. I'm aware I could message people privately but I figured other people looking for this topic might want to know how things ended too. (since my look at the website URL shows... no VS cables that I saw so it's not self-obvious :P )

PS - whatever video link was just a few steps up is dead by now too.

Xiden
Developer

Post#65 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:21 pm

ferretdookdook wrote:I know this sounds horrible to not post for this long (I was swamped with too many credits of spring college and summer work.. and swamped with bills >_<) but whats the end state of this? VS Link cables don't seem to be for sale at that link unless it was an uber-short time thing. :( I didn't even watch this closely because i've never seen an online project that didn't literally take 6 months to even see some first prototype whatever of even something simple so I just bookmarked it for the future and figured i'd check back. (tho i'd planned to check back more like may not sept - when car is broke down that bill comes first)

I'm still looking for a usable VS Link clone or several at the right price. I'm aware I could message people privately but I figured other people looking for this topic might want to know how things ended too. (since my look at the website URL shows... no VS cables that I saw so it's not self-obvious :P )

PS - whatever video link was just a few steps up is dead by now too.

Kevin said he put it back in his to-do list but I have no idea when he will get to it. I've tried to ask others to make clones but doesn't seem anyone is interested at the moment. I know how to make them, but lack the supplies to do so. Someone in our community was making them but stopped because putting them together proved to be rather difficult. I might have to invest in a 3d printer someday and maybe I can make some. Your best bet sadly is seeking on a real one on ebay or seeing if you can get someone on assemblergames to make one. They have an existing thread on making one.

Gewal
noob

Post#66 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:43 am

I am interested in a cable as well if we can find a source...

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#67 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:38 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Update: I think I've gotten the hang of making the cables now. I've streamlined the process and made some little improvements. What I'm going to do is a limited test run of production cables. I'll sell these first three for $29.99 each with free shipping within the US (cables after these first three will be $39.99). The first three to respond will get them. You can just post here if interested and I'll send you a PM when I have your cable ready.

Edit: The three cable test run is sold out. I'll make another post when I have more.

I just stumbled across this thread and was wondering what happened to this? I don't personally have any interest in buying a cable, but I think selling them in the DC live shop could be a neat idea, and from what I've gathered they seem to work.

Xiden
Developer

Post#68 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:46 pm

Ragfish wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:Update: I think I've gotten the hang of making the cables now. I've streamlined the process and made some little improvements. What I'm going to do is a limited test run of production cables. I'll sell these first three for $29.99 each with free shipping within the US (cables after these first three will be $39.99). The first three to respond will get them. You can just post here if interested and I'll send you a PM when I have your cable ready.

Edit: The three cable test run is sold out. I'll make another post when I have more.

I just stumbled across this thread and was wondering what happened to this? I don't personally have any interest in buying a cable, but I think selling them in the DC live shop could be a neat idea, and from what I've gathered they seem to work.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12984

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#69 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:42 pm

Xiden wrote:https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12984

I saw that thread, I was just wondering what happened to pc's version of it.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#70 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:46 am

Ragfish wrote:I just stumbled across this thread and was wondering what happened to this? I don't personally have any interest in buying a cable, but I think selling them in the DC live shop could be a neat idea, and from what I've gathered they seem to work.

They were more trouble than they were worth. lol Took me over an hour to make and test a single cable and sometimes they didn't work. I can only assume it's just extremely picky about the pin alignment. Most would work initially but then slowly start to lose sync and eventually disconnect. In the end I think I made about 20-30 that worked fine but I just got too frustrated with them to continue.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live