Dreamcast MOD finally complete ;)

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Dreamcast MOD finally complete ;)

Post#1 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:15 am

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast MOD finally complete ;)

Post#2 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:43 am

Sex spec dreamcast reminds me of the honda civics of the 90's all modded out

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:35 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Sex spec dreamcast reminds me of the honda civics of the 90's all modded out

It's transformed into a sexy, little machine. I really love the blue case with the red swirl. I paid a small fortune to complete the package, but it was worth it for my favourite console of all time.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#4 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:26 pm

Looks great. Personally I:m a sucker for the original case. Did the fan, GDEMU and PSU. Will get round to doing the battery at the end of the month. Thinking about DCHDMI but if I go for it no way I'm risking doing it myself.

fraggle200
chill

Post#5 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:57 am

Cass wrote:Looks great. Personally I:m a sucker for the original case. Did the fan, GDEMU and PSU. Will get round to doing the battery at the end of the month. Thinking about DCHDMI but if I go for it no way I'm risking doing it myself.

I done my own DCHDMI mod and tbh, it's not too bad. I ended up with no CDDA on the first mobo I done as I crossed 2 pins on the audio chip as I was trying to drag solder without a J tip on my soldering iron. Needless to say that mobo now needs a new sound chip but apart from that it's all pretty straightforward. just a little bit of solder on the tip and pull it away from the chip so it flows onto the FFC cable and you'll get those legs soldered in no time. when it comes to soldering like this, less is more! all the problems I've seen modders deal with after a botched install are mostly all due to a few things. iron is too hot (should prob be about 310 deg C) , they've been far too heavy handed with the solder, used lead free solder (leaded has a lower melting temp so it easier to work with), have had the tip on the cable/chip etc for too long and have scorched it (another byproduct of using lead free solder) and just not using any or enough flux.

There's loads of vids out there going over the mod and if you watch enough of them you'll get a feel for how to do it.

lozz
core

Post#6 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:03 am

Looking good! Is that one of the cases from the Australian distributor or AliExpress?

Itt's great how user-friendly a lot of the mods for the DC are - you can do the case, PSU, noctuafan and GDEMU without much hassle. Personally I have no need for DCHDMI as I have stuck with the old but reliable VGA box. The only mod I need to do but haven't done yet is the battery mod. Haven't picked a soldering iron up since high school electronics class (half a lifetime ago), but might give it a go soon.

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 pm

lozz wrote:Looking good! Is that one of the cases from the Australian distributor or AliExpress?

Itt's great how user-friendly a lot of the mods for the DC are - you can do the case, PSU, noctuafan and GDEMU without much hassle. Personally I have no need for DCHDMI as I have stuck with the old but reliable VGA box. The only mod I need to do but haven't done yet is the battery mod. Haven't picked a soldering iron up since high school electronics class (half a lifetime ago), but might give it a go soon.

The case is from an Australian distributor, it's a high quality piece of work and well worth the coin. Personally I don't feel the need for the HDMI Mod, so I'm using a simple VGA to HDMI cable instead.

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#8 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:17 pm

The fact the age of translucent technology is over is a real bummer
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Eddyiori
noob

Post#9 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Congratulations!!!

DC-One