Changing the Dreamcast Keyboard Language

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

3style
lithium

Re: Changing the Dreamcast Keyboard Language

Post#21 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:13 pm

NightBreeze wrote:Well, I'll be damned. Got it right on the first try! I decided to go with J4 being the last bit of 5th data.

Here I've moved resistor on R17 to R16 and the jumper on J2 to J3:

This is pre-cleaning the PCB. It's not the prettiest, but all I had was a tooth-pick to place the components :oops:.

Mandator PSO proof shot:

Remapping the keycaps:

And last, but not least, the final money shot:

PS. I've updated the imgur album, has a bit more commentary.

Thanks for the detailed elaboration! I just bought a French (cheap) keyboard and this looks like a relative easy soldering job to hardware switch the language.

NightBreeze
fire

Post#22 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:59 am

3style wrote:Thanks for the detailed elaboration! I just bought a French (cheap) keyboard and this looks like a relative easy soldering job to hardware switch the language.

You’re welcome! Don’t forget to thoroughly read my last post on page 2 as it clarifies the meaning of the jumpers. Good luck and let me know if you need assistance, it really is a super simple mod.

3style
lithium

Post#23 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:45 am

NightBreeze wrote:
3style wrote:Thanks for the detailed elaboration! I just bought a French (cheap) keyboard and this looks like a relative easy soldering job to hardware switch the language.

You’re welcome! Don’t forget to thoroughly read my last post on page 2 as it clarifies the meaning of the jumpers. Good luck and let me know if you need assistance, it really is a super simple mod.

Just excuted the soldering, its very little stuff but easy job in the end indeed! thanks.
Not all buttons (like "!" etc.) match the qwerty lay-out, but at least I can type all the words.

NightBreeze
fire

Post#24 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm

3style wrote:Just excuted the soldering, its very little stuff but easy job in the end indeed! thanks.
Not all buttons (like "!" etc.) match the qwerty lay-out, but at least I can type all the words.

Congrats on the successful soldering job! Too bad about the exclamation mark etc, perhaps another layout might work better? Out of curiosity, which language did you change to?

3style
lithium

Post#25 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:04 am

NightBreeze wrote:
3style wrote:Just excuted the soldering, its very little stuff but easy job in the end indeed! thanks.

Congrats on the successful soldering job! Too bad about the exclamation mark etc, perhaps another layout might work better? Out of curiosity, which language did you change to?

I have changed it from a France layout (azerty) to qwerty. The layout is a bit different for the special symbols in France. But not really an issue I believe, most of the time I dont think I'll use them in an ingame chatbox. The keyboard was 10 euro (new), so I'm pretty happy with this mod :)

3style
lithium

Post#26 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

NightBreeze wrote:

Hi, what kind of microscope did you use by the way?

NightBreeze
fire

Post#27 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:03 am

3style wrote:Hi, what kind of microscope did you use by the way?

I believe I simply used an iPhone camera through a magnifying glass (one of those simple ones that are built in to these PCB holder stands) for the pictures. For the actual soldering I didn't have any microscope. Getting a proper microscope with boom stand is something I hope to have one day, once I have more room :D