Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.
User avatar
Xiden
Uber
Posts: 1019

Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Kevin over at Planet Virtual boy is considering making Homemade Dreamcast VS Cables. If you've seen his homemade Virtual boy VS cable then you'll know they will be a high quality build.

He said he'd consider it if we can find 75+ Dreamcast fans interested in wanting to purchase one.

You can see his homemade Virtual Boy link cable here http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php ... ink-cable/

Post here if you'd be interest in having a VS cable for your Dreamcast!

User avatar
Sega1Dream
Donated
Posts: 81

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm

What games take advantage of this this type of connection?

User avatar
Xiden
Uber
Posts: 1019

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#3 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:30 pm

A small number of games, its more of a collectors item but maybe future home brewers can make more compatible games. I want one due to how expensive as crap they are on ebay and just being able to use the dreamcast serial port finally lol.

Aero Dancing F
Aero Dancing i
F355 Challenge
Sega Tetris
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
Sega Rally 2 Supposedly Also has it.

User avatar
Sega1Dream
Donated
Posts: 81

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#4 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Lol, I totally get it Xiden. Just want a reason to use that serial port!

If the price is right, I would be interested in one I guess.
Be curious to link up two Dreamcast at a LAN type thing.

Xiden wrote:A small number of games, its more of a collectors item but maybe future home brewers can make more compatible games. I want one due to how expensive as crap they are on ebay and just being able to use the dreamcast serial port finally lol.

Aero Dancing F
Aero Dancing i
F355 Challenge
Sega Tetris
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
Sega Rally 2 Supposedly Also has it.

User avatar
BananaXX
shadow
Posts: 10

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#5 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm

I would be interested as creating a DIY coder cable would be much easier given a proper serial port connector rather than hacking up old motherboards or HDMI cables.

Chael
dark night
Posts: 61

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#6 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 pm

I'd buy one (at the right price).
This was being talked about a lot recently on various forums... Good that someone is finally pulling the trigger.
Anyone knows about how much is charged for the virtual boy cable?

The best reason to buy it is to run versus setups at your local conventions/gatherings!! Let it live!
Also an indie game could use the feature if cables become easier to find...

Sega Rally doesn't have it, Hellgate's beta have it.

BloodBrother
dark night
Posts: 57

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#7 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Im definitely interested, admittidely i dont have a use for it, but i want one nonetheless!

User avatar
krssn
Metallic
Posts: 808

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 pm

BananaXX wrote:I would be interested as creating a DIY coder cable would be much easier given a proper serial port connector rather than hacking up old motherboards or HDMI cables.

Display port connector looks like a good candidate too with a little trimming. Better than HDMI.

Unless the pitch is different of course.

Anybody with a display port cable able to check if the pin distance is the same?...

User avatar
BananaXX
shadow
Posts: 10

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:00 pm

krssn wrote:Display port connector looks like a good candidate too with a little trimming. Better than HDMI.

Unless the pitch is different of course.

Anybody with a display port cable able to check if the pin distance is the same?...


According to this guy the pins on the bottom row of a HDMI connector are lined up with those of the serial port on the Dreamcast. Maybe someone out there can use this info to make serial connectors.

mstar
photon blast
Posts: 104

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#10 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 am

At the right price i might consider getting one too (even though i don't really need one :P )

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Dreamcast Community”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users