Dreamcast VS Link cable available for pre-order

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ferretdookdook
shadow

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#21 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:48 am

Yes that's what i've heard... but at least they would work better than nothing. With 'real' Dreamcast ones long gone I just kind of assumed i'd never enjoy any head to head gaming on the system...

So if a good quality of cable could be made, yes this would be TOTALLY worth it. I have 5 Dreamcasts currently and i'd probably want at least 3 cables - since I don't expect much future remanufacturing of such retro gear. If the price is lower than I expect, getting one or two beyond that is likely.

Chael
fire

Post#22 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:28 pm

If you get several dream pi you can already do a pseudo lan/system link better than with the cable. Most games are P2P once you are ingame so no lag.

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#23 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:54 am

Count me in. I knew id find a use for that second vga cable
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#24 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:11 am

Nice, Hawk. :-D

ferretdookdook
shadow

Post#25 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:55 pm

Chael wrote:If you get several dream pi you can already do a pseudo lan/system link better than with the cable. Most games are P2P once you are ingame so no lag.

That's the way you turn modem games into 'modern LAN' games, right? And same philosophy works with the Saturn as I recall?

I'm aware that many games support the modem links but not all, some are System Link only... it's wanting to play those, which I believe includes Virtual On and F355 (yes i'm too lazy to recheck right now :) ) that had me remaining always interested in someday still acquiring a VS Link cable... hence my random compulsive search for the topic a few times a year.

If these new VS Link cables are made, I hope to also make the modem 'tunneling' hookups so that those games can be played as well - i'm a huge fan of 'retro LANparty' type gaming.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#26 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 pm

I'd be in for 1. Provided it was $50 or less.

Xiden
Developer

Post#27 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 am

Ill forward this thread over to Kevin. I think we have a pretty good amount of interest gathering up. Ill see what price point we will be looking at as well.

INGUES
shadow

Post#28 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 am

Xiden wrote:Ill forward this thread over to Kevin. I think we have a pretty good amount of interest gathering up. Ill see what price point we will be looking at as well.

Any updates?

Xiden
Developer

Post#29 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am

INGUES wrote:
Xiden wrote:Ill forward this thread over to Kevin. I think we have a pretty good amount of interest gathering up. Ill see what price point we will be looking at as well.

Any updates?

Not yet, I've sent out an email though so hopefully we shall hear an update soon :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#30 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:12 am

Xiden wrote:
INGUES wrote:

Any updates?

Not yet, I've sent out an email though so hopefully we shall hear an update soon :)

Welp actually got an email update shortly after writing this haha.

Here's his reply:

"Looks like there is some interest. There will be more once a picture of a real one shows up.

Ok let me take another look. I need to also look at cost of buying equipment for testing. I don't ship anything without properly testing each one.

Cost of a cable would be around $75 (This is on par with his other cable costs) depending on how long it takes me. I hand build each one. "

I can vouch for this mans quality as well. He makes very nice and professionally made cables. (See his virtual boy link cable here: http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php ... ink-cable/