Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mongonk
shadow

Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

Post#1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:30 am

Hey everyone,. I've decided to play through Shenmue 1/2 on my Dreamcast in anticipation for part 3. I can't find my original discs unfortunately. So what is the best option for Shenmue 2

Japanese version is reasonably priced but no English subtitles apparently.

PAL version seems high priced. Are you paying for English subtitles?

The isozone options haven't been burning correctly. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks!

-Eric

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

Post#2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 am

Right, no English in the Japanese version.

You're paying for English subtitles, and, also, it's on the Dreamcast. If you have an Xbox, you may want to check out that version. It's a little less than the DC versions.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Mongonk wrote:Hey everyone,. I've decided to play through Shenmue 1/2 on my Dreamcast in anticipation for part 3. I can't find my original discs unfortunately. So what is the best option for Shenmue 2

Japanese version is reasonably priced but no English subtitles apparently.

PAL version seems high priced. Are you paying for English subtitles?

The isozone options haven't been burning correctly. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks!

-Eric

So Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast has a Japanese Voices with English Sub. The Xbox is more or less the Same except with a full English Dub. I know Some Shenmue purists out there will hate me but unless you Find Shen 2 at a decent price on the Dreamcast i would just stick to the Xbox version. it might be unfair for me to say that as i got my copy complete for less that $5 but the Xbox version fixes a couple of frame rate issues in the Dc version and at least to me the English dub just adds to the charm and lore that is Shenmue. If you are going to play it on the xbox use a OG Xbox as the 360 version runs it fairly poorly with framerate issues and lots of graphics bugged out like the moonlighting and graphics just gone like teeth. Hope this helps

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 pm

The save from Dreamcast Shenmue I can be carried over into Dreamcast Shenmue II like I did when I played them.

Digital Foundry explains the differences of DC/XB/360:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNOSQqoUcg

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 pm

I have the NTSC/U GD-ROM version of Shenmue which never seems to work when I play the PAL version of Shenmue 2.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#6 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm

It'll work, Bob, but you'll need to edit a small part of the save file using a hexadecimal editor when changing regions that the game is from. For example, here are instructions on how to convert a Shenmue I US save file to a Shenmue I PAL save file to continue the game into a PAL copy of Shenmue II: http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/rele ... _shen2.php

Mongonk
shadow

Post#7 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks all! I used to own the PAL version but it's gone. I prefer to play the Japanese language version with English subtitles again. There are places that sell repros in the $20-$40 range. Some are exact PAL rips, others have Xbox audio that don't sound very good based on samples.

I'm not a collector so I don't care about having the original copy, especially at 100-200 $ prices. Burning myself has proved to be problematic.

For $20-$30 I'm happy to pay.

Thanks again all!

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#8 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:05 am

Form what I've heard of the Xbox audio is it has to be the 99min cdr to have the good audio. The 80min cdr is downsampled which is the bad audio.

Mongonk
shadow

Post#9 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 am

I've read the same. I just don't feeling like farting around with 99min discs...trial and error etc.

I actually enjoyed hearing the Japanese. The voice acting seems better. Plus I love hearing different languages. Maybe I'll learn a few words again! ;-)