HDTV lightgun box for hdtv now up for pre order

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

HDTV lightgun box for hdtv now up for pre order

Post#1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:04 pm

https://www.lightgunverter.com - a box that lets you play lightgun games again on hdtv! Works with dreamcast!

Only $90 so I consider that a good deal :)

Hope you guys pre-order!

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Re: HDTV lightgun box for hdtv now up for pre order

Post#2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:15 am

Was never into light gun games myself, but for those who are, this is certainly pretty awesome!

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#3 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 pm

this looks sweet. There are some sweet wiimote pistols to pick from too.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#4 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 pm

yeah. thats cool if youre determined not to have a CRT around or have no room for one

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:59 am

Only Composite ?
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am

dreamcast-news wrote:Only Composite ?

It can do RGB do, via C-Sync input. He will have a breakout board for RGB scart soon

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#7 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:10 pm

1) what about S-Video, (for Saturn,Dreamcast, PS1, 3DO, SNES) Component (PS2, Xbox Prime), and NTSC Analog TV (Atari 7800)

2) If I can guess how this technology work, it’d be how I’d theorize to do it, [although with no elecitronic engineering skills, my yap is worth about as much as some churches when the Aliens either come in peace or invade Earth. (do you see any references to Extra Terrestrials in most holy books, except maybe the Book of Mormo,n if Battlestar Galactica has some Mormon ideas and principles as I heard.) ] is use a visible light camera and take a broader picture of the whole (or at least enough of the) screen ,and the center of the digital frame is where the bullet goes.

Of course you have to compensate for HDTV Ping, and lighting conditions in the room, and the video input feed must be fed into the device, but it’s FAR MORE accurate than the Wiimote Method.

There are so many problems that can go wrong with the wiimote method. First if it’s not centered and parallel with the TV surface, it can be thrown off. But even if it’s set right there’s issues of forward/backward placement from the screen edge, and height above/below the screen. But the biggest flaw of all is evident when you go from a 20 inch TV to an 80 inch TV. It’s not a point and shoot device. it’s more like using your arms to move a cursor. Most games that work well in this method have an onscreen cursor. Even then you notice your arms are moving in inverse proportion to the TV SIZE relative to your true aim. Bigger TVs you have to move more subtle compared to smaller TVs where you have to exaggerate your moves. In either case, if you’re not perfect, your actual aim does not match the cursor, or where the computer THINKS you’re going to shoot.

Don’t believe me, Ghost Squad for the Wii in no-cursor mode, and play on a 20 inch tv and an 80 inch tv. You have to play by muscle memory, not actually lining it up.