New Retro Fighters Dreamcast Controller

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

New Retro Fighters Dreamcast Controller

Post#1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Found something cool to share

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... le_created

New retro fighters controller for dreamcast. I have their n64 controller and its awesome. Highly recommend this company.

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: New Retro Fighters Dreamcast Controller

Post#2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:57 pm

It'll no doubt be an awesome piece of kit, Retro Fighters are superb at what they do.

However while the added shoulder buttons are a great touch, I don't think this is for me as it's lacking a secondary analogue stick - something that games such as Quake III Arena have been proven to support when people have made their own custom controllers for DC before. If it had the secondary stick, this would be a purchase for sure. But shelling out £40 to not get all the trimmings of a modern console controller isn't for me.

That being said, this controller will definitely be a Godsend to any fighting game fans, especially if we can get the Japanese Street Fighter games back on online multiplayer.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#3 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 pm

I'll Be ordering a few

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#4 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Ehhh, no secondary stick so what's the point?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:27 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:Ehhh, no secondary stick so what's the point?

Secondary stick would be useless for a DC controller :P

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 am

Roareye wrote:However while the added shoulder buttons are a great touch, I don't think this is for me as it's lacking a secondary analogue stick - something that games such as Quake III Arena have been proven to support when people have made their own custom controllers for DC before. If it had the secondary stick, this would be a purchase for sure. But shelling out £40 to not get all the trimmings of a modern console controller isn't for me.

I guess you didn't realize those modded "Dual stick" controllers, were just adding a stick shell and were not true analog sticks? They tapped into the D-pad connection for the second stick, so they were just digital hat switches basically. I seen them taken apart. There was never a true actual dual analog stick controller hacked with the real stick mechanism in it, so not sure why you seem to think that?

An old time user by the name of Spinksy here bought the original dual analog stick modded controller from an American guy on YouTube and he cleaned up the mod some more and transferred it to a new top shell since the guys used a broken controller to mod.

I tried to find an original high res image of it, but could not. I only seen it in google search but when I clicked I got an image not found error. But this is all we have now to see.

It was a nicely made mod, but still only digital input faked to a stick really is all it was.

However, just wait for Retro-Bit's wireless controllers, they will most likely have dual sticks. :)

Dreamcast actually has support for dual analog controllers built in already, so if they do release those anticipated controllers, then hopefully homebrew games will support it.

Xiden wrote:
dave_van_damn wrote:Ehhh, no secondary stick so what's the point?

Secondary stick would be useless for a DC controller :P

Not really, the actual maple bus supports a second stick, this has been known for years. However most games weren't made with this in mind, so no real way to remap controls for it in FPS games officially. You can see more about every available input the Maple bus supports, and a second analog it does. It would open up the possibility for homebrew to take advantage of it, or maybe hack retail game binaries to support it?

http://mc.pp.se/dc/controller.html

That Bernie Stolar Interview Tom from Dreamcast Junkyard did even alludes to this. It came out of Bernie's own mouth that they planned on making a dual analog controller eventually, but he was let go a day before the North American release, so it never materialized.

Tom: That is a very cool project - several members of the Junkyard team backed the book and we're looking forward to seeing the final product. In terms of the Dreamcast hardware itself, it was a very innovative system. Are there any features you know of that were planned but abandoned before they could be implemented? We’re aware of the VMU MP3 player and the SEGA/Swatch partnership et al, but were there others?

Bernie: More online play, DVD support, and internal storage (including the DVR games on-demand discussions). I also pushed hard for a dual joystick controller, similar to what we did at PlayStation. There’s a reason the DualShock is still used to this day. I chose online functionality over DVD playback and internal storage, because I was forced to pick one of the three due to budget limitations. I would have preferred obviously to include all three from the get-go or at the very least, online play with a DVD drive. We were also in talks about Grand Theft Auto III, Warcraft: Online (as it was known at the time), Max Payne, and other titles coming to Dreamcast, and this would have helped tremendously.

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... tolar.html

There was also a thread about it over at Assembler. Maybe we could convince these guys to add in a second analog stick since they aren't at the production stage yet?

https://assemblergames.com/threads/more ... uts.69873/

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:36 pm

I can't say I'd really see much of a point to adding a second stick to a Dreamcast controller.

Maybe they'd let you remap the D Pad controls to it or something like they let you do with PSP games on Vita (so you don't have to Monster Hunter claw) but I can't think of too many Dreamcast games where I'd really do this.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#8 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:21 pm

ReaderRagfish wrote:I can't say I'd really see much of a point to adding a second stick to a Dreamcast controller.

Maybe they'd let you remap the D Pad controls to it or something like they let you do with PSP games on Vita (so you don't have to Monster Hunter claw) but I can't think of too many Dreamcast games where I'd really do this.

As mentioned above the Dreamcast hardware fully supports dual analog sticks, it was just never implemented. Being able to play shooting titles (Quake III Arena, Fur Fighters, Unreal Tournament, Headhunter, MDK2, Outtrigger etc) with a second stick would effectively improve those titles. Even remapping buttons would help, though true dual analog support would be the most sought after I am unsure of how possible modifying the games to read such controls is.

Either way we're still talking an expensive (modern PS4/Xbox1 priced) controller lacking wireless or dual stick functionality. I appreciate these are made in much fewer numbers, but I don't see what new shoulder bumpers add to the gameplay whereas I do see the benefits of dual sticks.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:15 am

backed, and made the same comments about dual analog. Also asked if it was possible to map the LB and RB buttons. This would make them much more useful.

Roel
Developer

Post#10 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:34 am

ReaderRagfish wrote:I can't say I'd really see much of a point to adding a second stick to a Dreamcast controller.

I can. The DC's controller protocol already supports a second analog stick, so it would be very easy to support it in future games. Some people might even be able to hack support for it into existing ones.