please help ordering Modem

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.
rhiavax
shadow
Posts: 7

please help ordering Modem

Post#1 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:43 pm

hello im new here. im trying to get my dream pi online and im brand new to this site and the whole dream pi thing. i have 2 dail up modems and they dont work. one is a zoom and ine only says made in china. some people say look out for fakes so im Kind of scared to order any. does this one look ok?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123352897987

User avatar
deluxux
Metallic
Posts: 857

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#2 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:46 am

You do understand that the USB modem requires modifications? https://blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html

User avatar
poopidoop
MegaDeath
Posts: 232

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#3 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:23 pm

need a line voltage inducer if you dont have one already, fairly simple to make if you youtube it. i bought my modem here from pcwzrd13 although hes out of them at the moment. his have a built in line voltage inducer (LVI) so theres no need for one if you end up with his.

Edit: forgot the link sorry https://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop
Last edited by poopidoop on Thu May 07, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhiavax
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#4 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:46 pm

i have a line voltige inducer. i think the modems the Problem

User avatar
Xiden
Leonard Nimoy
Posts: 1822

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#5 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:55 pm

rhiavax wrote:hello im new here. im trying to get my dream pi online and im brand new to this site and the whole dream pi thing. i have 2 dail up modems and they dont work. one is a zoom and ine only says made in china. some people say look out for fakes so im Kind of scared to order any. does this one look ok?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123352897987


Edit

I believe as long as its linux compatible and is voice enabled it should work. I couldn't find that answer on the modem you shared though. You might ask the seller if its linux compatible.
Last edited by Xiden on Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
megavolt85
Developer
Posts: 758

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#6 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Xiden wrote:I believe as long as its linux compatible it should work. I couldn't find that answer on the modem you shared though.


No

example from ali

is soft modem with linuxant driver

it is not suitable for dial in server, but the money will not be returned to you, because the goods are working and can work in Linux

rhiavax
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#7 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:59 pm

the made in china one only has one light on when it boots

User avatar
megavolt85
Developer
Posts: 758

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#8 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:12 pm

rhiavax wrote:the made in china one only has one light on when it boots


for simple find problem use PC with this PC-DC server
this PC-DC have custom kernel patch for support china "Lenovo" and "CEIVA" modems

User avatar
Xiden
Leonard Nimoy
Posts: 1822

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#9 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:54 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Xiden wrote:I believe as long as its linux compatible it should work. I couldn't find that answer on the modem you shared though.


No

example from ali

is soft modem with linuxant driver

it is not suitable for dial in server, but the money will not be returned to you, because the goods are working and can work in Linux


Correction linux + voice compatible. So that would explain why the modem you linked wouldn't work

rhiavax
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: please help ordering Modem

Post#10 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 pm

can anyone link me to one on ebay that would work?

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Dreamcast Community”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users