New clock battery date and time still resets

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MikeBeezy
noob

New clock battery date and time still resets

Post#1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Ok I need some help I couldn’t find this anywhere in any searching around the web So I have a Dreamcast with a gdemu v5.15b I’ve replaced the clock battery with a new socket and ML2032 battery and isolated the 12v regulator for the disc drive to help reduce heat and added a light amount of solder to the power supply pins but what happens is after about 30 mins of play if I turn off or reset the system to play a different game it ask for the date and time repeatedly and will not boot the gd emu it just loops date and time I’ve checked the battery charge it’s 3.004v and with it removed it’s charging 3.075v and I’ve also checked continuity from the battery to the end of the ribbon cable I’m at a loss does any one have any idea what’s going on?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: New clock battery date and time still resets

Post#2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:14 am

Not sure but this is not the good battery type.
You must use LIR2032.

NightBreeze
fire

Post#3 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:43 am

fafadou wrote:Not sure but this is not the good battery type.
You must use LIR2032.

I think you have it backwards :D. LIR2032 is bad, ML2032 is good. LIR is incompatible with the Dreamcast charging circuit since it requires a higher voltage for charging than the Dreamcast provides.

Regarding your issue MikeBeezy, it sounds like everything _should_ be right. Perhaps the GDEMU is faulty? Can you try replacing it with GDROM and see if the issue goes away? If it's the GDEMU, then perhaps the crystal is wrong on it? https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 7803078658

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#4 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:03 am

My main Dreamcast has the gdemu v5.15b & stock PSU running warm too and it holds time & date fine. However, I also have 3 others with no gdemu and they too all have the same battery mod as you. When I boot up my others, I usually have to input the time & date again on my spares, because I only test them every month or so. However, I was told that this is odd behavior and that it should just be perfect for several months, I have a friend whose time & date kept after like 90 days, and by comparison, mine will not.

However, they seem to hold enough juice for several weeks and recharge upon booting up. Idk if anyone else has experienced this, PSU issue or what?

And NightBreeze is correct, you have the right battery.

MikeBeezy
noob

Post#5 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:10 pm

Thank you to everyone for all the good insight and helpful advice but after relentless diligent work I’ve discovered the isssue here, it’s not the gdemu or the battery, what I’ve discovered was actually happening is where the ribbon cable plugs into the main board the pins of the board socket weren’t making a good contact to the cable and would keep throwing it into a date and time loop so I rolled the backside of the ribbon cable that goes into the board socket with a pocket screwdriver and gave it a little curve to give it better contact pressure and it’s working perfectly now with no issues at all I hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue