Have 2 HKT-01 Dev kits. Need help

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

springbok
shadow

Have 2 HKT-01 Dev kits. Need help

Post#1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi All,

I am fortunate to be in the possession of 2 HKT-01 Dev kits. They are in their original boxes, and in pretty spectacular condition. I also have the
a disc labeled [Sega Dreamcast System Disc 2]

The instruction is to sell them. In order to prepare them for sale, I wanted to get both of them up and running, in a FULL dev environment. Meaning... connected to a Windown 98/NT PC with all necessary software installed, and being able to compile and run test code.

Here is what I have done so far.

1) They have both been cleaned thoroughly.
2) Both boot and are able to load games.
3) I have purchased 2 Mini-PC's capable of running windows 98/NT
4) Have installed SCSI adapters in the PC's. I also have the SCSI terminators and cables.

That is all the easy stuff. I had actually received these more than 18 months ago.. but have only gotten back to the project now. I saved off links back then that I thought would help me, but many appear to be stale now.

My first objective is to get the Kit connected to the PC. I am very curious to find out what is on the internal HD's of the Kits. They have NOT been wiped. So the first thing I was hoping to get help on was how I go about setting up the PC's, and connecting to the kits. I DO NOT want to go the linux route. I would like to set up the windows dev environment specifically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks.

dcs.jpg

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Have 2 HKT-01 Dev kits. Need help

Post#2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:46 pm

I would suggest you remove the hard drives put them in another computer and clone them to new drives, even flash drives would be great. I would use a clone software like clonezilla LiveCD. I will gladly send you some flashdrives in the mail for a copy.
Last edited by deluxux on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Not sure why two PCs were purchased just to test / sell. You can connect one, test, then connect the other and do the same on just one PC.

If you're using the recommended Adaptec 2940 card, you have two options for accessing the hard drive. You can either remove the hard drive and directly connect it to the Adaptec card via a 50-pin SCSI ribbon cable or just connect the Katana to the card via the 50-pin SCSI cable. For the latter method, you'll need to power on the Katana to power the drive, but in either case, the drive should show up when you cold boot the PC - no official SDK needed for that.

For compiling code / testing it, you'll need the official SDK for Codescape Debugger (for sending the code) and GD-Workshop or DA Check (for putting the Katana into emulation mode).

springbok
shadow

Post#4 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:04 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Yes.. I do need to clone the HD's first. I have 2 4GB Compact flash cards I will copy it onto. I just had to order an IDE to CF adapter.

As for why 2 PC's? The intention is to sell both systems as fully functional... nothing extra needed dev systems. I.e buyer will get kit and PC... plug them in.. and be ready to use them immediately.

FuzzyFish
minority

Post#5 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Don't suppose there is any chance you are on the East coast? I've wanted to compile 4x4 Evo DC in debug mode on a real dev kit for years now.
4x4 Evolution Revival Project
http://www.4x4evolution.net

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#6 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:00 pm

What kind of price ballpark are you thinking?

springbok
shadow

Post#7 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:26 am

FuzzyFish wrote:Don't suppose there is any chance you are on the East coast? I've wanted to compile 4x4 Evo DC in debug mode on a real dev kit for years now.

I am on the east coast :). Where are you located?

springbok
shadow

Post#8 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:28 am

mrneo240 wrote:What kind of price ballpark are you thinking?

I have absolutely NO Clue. I see to GD Writers on eBay for $6K each, and 1 Kit for $9,500.

I genuinely have NO CLUE what they are worth... but want to try an maximize profit by making sure that they are turn-key.

butoia
rebel

Post#9 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:55 pm

This type of dev systems are really rare!

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#10 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:32 pm

wont the extra pc really add to the shipping cost though?

Return to “Dreamcast Community”