Super Mario 64 port and 1ST_READ.bin file. Please help!!!

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dakangel
letterbomb

Re: Super Mario 64 port and 1ST_READ.bin file. Please help!!!

Post#11 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:04 pm

@siwowes just remember that Mrneo240 port is a very rough, unpolished and straightforward version of the game for the dreamcast, means that the entire source code and rom game loads in the main console ram from the start and all the time stay there (16MB)

Mario 64 rom size is about 8MB, so you need at this point mods that can't exceed that rom size to properly work.

At least until a new well made dreamcast port exist that uses the full potential of the console.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#12 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:11 pm

1st_read bin must not be scrambled dont need to do any thing but place the bin and ip in the data folder and click create iso..

the iso you should be able to mount after with any normal tool or even open direct with winrar.. check the iso can be mounted.. and size of it i dont do any bin hacking this kos homebrew

If the bin is for self boot it will not work at all on this

Less then 500k memory left when this boots there is no room for doing any mods.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:30 pm

You have to unscramble the 1st_read.bin before making a sd iso..

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#14 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:00 pm

For DreamShell you'll have to patch the scrambled 1ST_READ.BIN and unscramble it:

# First make a backup
cp build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch
# Patch it
sed -i 's/\xE4\x74\x5F\xA0/\xEC\x74\x5F\xA0/g' build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch
# Unscramble and save it to some folder named "sdiso"
mkdir build/us_dc/sdiso
scramble -d build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch build/us_dc/sdiso/1ST_READ.BIN
# Cleanup the patched scrambled binary and create iso for DreamShell
rm -f build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch
mkisofs -V Mario64 -G /path/to/IP.BIN -joliet -rock -l -o sm64-port-dreamshell.iso ./build/us_dc/sdiso

DarkVampire295
photon blast

Post#15 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:44 pm

If I had the file I could make a cdi for you use bootdreams and select the folder itself then let it do it's thing
Twitter @WayneBurke32

Best of luck, DV

CrisMod
lithium

Post#16 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:11 am

Ok, just to update you, I found all the solutions need to do some other steps from above before achieve the working one for Dreamshell. Now I settled everyting and everything are working well.
Thank you anyway

I don't know for which mestification problem but all your answer pop up me right now...so sorry to everyone I didn't see all your answers till now.... :oops:

CrisMod
lithium

Post#17 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:16 am

Dakangel wrote:@siwowes just remember that Mrneo240 port is a very rough, unpolished and straightforward version of the game for the dreamcast, means that the entire source code and rom game loads in the main console ram from the start and all the time stay there (16MB)

Mario 64 rom size is about 8MB, so you need at this point mods that can't exceed that rom size to properly work.

At least until a new well made dreamcast port exist that uses the full potential of the console.

@Dakangel, it's not true buddy....my ROM it's 12.480 MB and works like a charm......
About the Mrneo240 port is a very rough, i can see because this game could run more smoothly, this it's not a negative criticism because i have full respect of what he have done and I need only to congratulate him about his great job oin it. But the game can speed up , it need optimizations on it.....
Last edited by CrisMod on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrisMod
lithium

Post#18 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:18 am

Ian Micheal wrote:1st_read bin must not be scrambled dont need to do any thing but place the bin and ip in the data folder and click create iso..

the iso you should be able to mount after with any normal tool or even open direct with winrar.. check the iso can be mounted.. and size of it i dont do any bin hacking this kos homebrew

If the bin is for self boot it will not work at all on this

Less then 500k memory left when this boots there is no room for doing any mods.

@Ian Micheal, it's not really correct this info, the file will not work stricht away need exactly one software called "checker" that will need to unscrambled .....

CrisMod
lithium

Post#19 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 am

Ian Micheal wrote:You have to unscramble the 1st_read.bin before making a sd iso..

YEAP

CrisMod
lithium

Post#20 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:20 am

MastaG wrote:For DreamShell you'll have to patch the scrambled 1ST_READ.BIN and unscramble it:

# First make a backup
cp build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch
# Patch it
sed -i 's/\xE4\x74\x5F\xA0/\xEC\x74\x5F\xA0/g' build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch
# Unscramble and save it to some folder named "sdiso"
mkdir build/us_dc/sdiso
scramble -d build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch build/us_dc/sdiso/1ST_READ.BIN
# Cleanup the patched scrambled binary and create iso for DreamShell
rm -f build/us_dc/1ST_READ.bin.patch
mkisofs -V Mario64 -G /path/to/IP.BIN -joliet -rock -l -o sm64-port-dreamshell.iso ./build/us_dc/sdiso

Thank you @MastaG, it needs just a nice tool called "checker" two click and DONE ;)