Dreamcast at Gamescom/Cologne

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Re: Dreamcast at Gamescom/Cologne

Post#11 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:08 pm

It's that time of the year once again! :mrgreen:

This year was heavy on Dreamcast-related things (compared to 2011), mostly because the Retro Area has, for the first time ever, had a playable Dreamcast. To top it off, they did not display Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia or other such titles, but instead chose... GunLord! Most people reacted positively towards the indie release, not even noticing that its release date was in 2012. Only one idiot said to his friends, and I quote (almost), "This game sucks, it's too old." Can you spot all the mistakes in that short sentence? Anyway, interesting enough, most people were not that good at the game, if memory serves, only one or two managed to reach the second stage. The roll usually meant instant-death. :P

That was all for the first two days, aside from cosplayers dressed as the cutest Aika (Skies of Arcadia) ever and Gum from Jet Set Radio, respectively.

Unknown to me, at the same time RedSpotGames was having a little "Where's Waldo" competition, where the first 100 people to find them receive a code for a free copy of "Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles". Seriously, try finding six(?) RedSpotGames employees among 100.000+ visitors in five imensely huge halls, their only recognizable trait being their red shirts. My highscore for this game is "3"! :lol:

Fair enough, it turned real easy on Saturday when Max from RSG visited the Retro Area to kick out GunLord and replace it with... you may have guessed it already... if not try again... here's a hint, it was a Beta... of a shmup... with a kraken... called...

Sturmwind!

Yep, the Sturmwind Beta was playable at GamesCom. Reaction to it was about the same as GunLord, if not a teensy-weensy bit better. The last day, Max also held a speech about Sturmwind, mostly stuff about its production, the problems with the pressing, creating the boxes for the Limited Edition and, unless I'm forgetting something, otherwise only things already covered here. Oh, and the release is in about three months. Sounds like a legit date, Max explained in great detail what still has to happen before the release and unless something really really bad happens, three months it is. After that he handed out free RSG-DC games to everyone who either owned or was willing to buy a Dreamcast. Three copies of "Wind and Water" and one copy of "Rush Rush Rally Racing Deluxe"! Having stalked RSG at GamesCom two years ago (see above), I was even offered a beta of Sturmwind and a sweet piece of Sturmwind merchandise, but that kinda went under later on, haha. Oh, I can imagine the facial expression everybody must make when they read a free beta of the best-looking indie Dreamcast game out there was just forgotten. Sorry, instead Max got a certain 2D fighter from me, but that's a story for another thread...

Like two years ago, I just had to ask that ONE SPECIAL QUESTION during his presentation (roughly translated from German and my messy memory):

Code: Select all

CDC: Is there a new DC game being worked on? (Up there on the stage it would be like a super-perfect official announcement, so he'll answer for sure!)

Max (named "Some other RSG guy than before" in the OP): Let's just say that somewhere on earth, someone is coding for Dreamcast right now. (Or something evasive like that. :D )

CDC: (A...AGAIN?! When he last said it there was a super secret project planned for next year, sooooo...) *Grinning* That's all I needed to know, thanks!

Evasive asnwer-> New game next year. It's as simple as that. I WANT A 2D FIGHTER! :lol:

We also talked in private, but mostly only about technical things like copy protections, dev kits and other technobabble that would be too uninteresting to post here! :mrgreen:

All in all, it was the best GamesCom yet (for me at least), even better than the immensely awesome 2010 Convention described in the original post. To end this year's summary with a bang, here's my four-word review of Sturmwind: :D

AWESOME EXPLOSIONS, HELLZ YEAH!!
For Great Justice!

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast at Gamescom/Cologne

Post#12 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Cool update. So RSG might have yet another dreamcast title after Sturmwind? I'm eagerly waiting for Sturmwind, and like the idea of another title in the works. The indie releases keep getting more and more impressive in terms of game concept, graphics, playability. Looking forward to another :)