Sega's failed Dreamcast console has actually outsold WiiU

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

craziestrufis
Graffiti Grind

Sega's failed Dreamcast console has actually outsold WiiU

Post#1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:19 pm

I was google dreamcast and if found this link very cool :) what do u guys think ?

http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/s ... -the-wii-u

blktgr74
dark night

Re: Sega's failed Dreamcast console has actually outsold the

Post#2 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:40 am

The kids are playing the wii u right now and its the same old mario doing the same old things. To be honest I haven't even played it yet I rather spend my gaming time on the dreamcast playing games that haven't been rehashed for the last 30 years. People are still releasing games for the dreamcast 10 years on who will be releasing games on the wii u in 10 years?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

DC4EVER
rebel

Re: Sega's failed Dreamcast console has actually outsold Wii

Post#3 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 am

At the time it seem the Dreamcast had a decent user base. The neo geo went on for years with a much less installed user base. The DC could of been a cheaper option and maintained a 2nd place thing for a while until the Xbox/GC got going and by that time Sega would of have been prepping for the next gen anyways. My guess Sega wasnt making much money on software sales due to pirating issue. So in actuality every time we bought a DC unit sega lost money :oops: Especially so after the price drop. It was SOJ who decided to pull the plug the SOA wanted to keep the fight. There was rumors that Sega was in talks w Sony as early as fall of 2000, only a year after the US Dreamcast was released. Ive read articles, publications and etc and still feel theres something that dont quite jive with me...

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 pm

DC4EVER wrote:At the time it seem the Dreamcast had a decent user base. The neo geo went on for years with a much less installed user base. The DC could of been a cheaper option and maintained a 2nd place thing for a while until the Xbox/GC got going and by that time Sega would of have been prepping for the next gen anyways. My guess Sega wasnt making much money on software sales due to pirating issue. So in actuality every time we bought a DC unit sega lost money :oops: Especially so after the price drop. It was SOJ who decided to pull the plug the SOA wanted to keep the fight. There was rumors that Sega was in talks w Sony as early as fall of 2000, only a year after the US Dreamcast was released. Ive read articles, publications and etc and still feel theres something that dont quite jive with me...

That doesn't make sense, since SOJ kept making DC games until I think 2008 (someone will correct me) while the last NA DC game was in 2002.

Also I'd heard that Sega was in talks with Microsoft to make the Xbox backwards compatible with the Dreamcast, but they fell through.

Anyways, it won't last. I remember in 2006-07 I was hoping that the PS3 wouldn't get to the 10 million mark, just so the Dreamcast could beat it. Now the PS3 has over 80 million units sold.

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#5 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 pm

hmm not going to lie the Wii U has some good looking games from ComicCon, plus they are bring back the game cube controller
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#6 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 pm

lastcallgames wrote:That doesn't make sense, since SOJ kept making DC games until I think 2008 (someone will correct me) while the last NA DC game was in 2002.

The short version:
SEGA of Japan was badly in debt end of 2000 and the sales went down. Isao Okawa (president of SOJ) donated all of his money/company stock to save SEGA just before he passed away in march 2001. SEGA of America however was strong and still ready to fight. Not so much money but great connections and clever marketing opportunities. They sold a lot of consoles and games (and license) but the PS2 took more an more ground.

SEGA of Japan (SEGA's head office) official discontinued the DC on January 31st 2001. SOA was not happy about this decision but they were not able to do anything against it. The HQ pulled the plug.

The Dreamcast production was closed down but SOJ still licenced games. Karous was the last official title (March 8th 2007). At the same time they stopped pressing GD Roms.

Many developers were still interested in selling and porting (their yet unfinished) games on Dreamcast. That's why North American gamer saw so many great new games although the Dreamcast was long dead. Most titles were ready to publish - they had nothing to lose. Last title was NHL 2K2 in February 2002.

lastcallgames wrote:Also I'd heard that Sega was in talks with Microsoft to make the Xbox backwards compatible with the Dreamcast, but they fell through.

Microsoft refused to include internet play for Dreamcast games. They have their own service - Xbox Live.