Dreamcast not reading burned CD-R's

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Pikuma
noob

Dreamcast not reading burned CD-R's

Post#1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:06 am

First off, I'm new to the forums so hello. :D

So I'll give the lay down on my problem here, any useful advice would be much needed. I have two Dreamcasts, one being mine and one isn't mine but a friends. He let me test out his dreamcast and while noisy as fuck (I know DC's are often really noisy but this is far worse than mine), reads burned games perfectly. Mine however does not... it brings me to the music menu on Dreamcast automatically playing a file called "Track02", it reads normal Dreamcast discs fine though which I don't understand... I've tried various things such as:

-Replacing the power supply with a new one (Though this did fix one of my issues thankfully)
-Replacing the fan with a new one
-Cleaning out some of the gunk inside of it

Am I one of the few unlucky ones who received a Dreamcast that doesn't play burned games? Or is that a myth? I have yet to clean the laser lens so that possibly could be my problem but I wanted to see what you guys have to say before I go into anything like that. Please lay down some advice for things I could do to get it to read burned discs without being brung to the music menu.

BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast

Re: Dreamcast not reading burned CD-R's

Post#2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:13 am

Why did you go to the bother of replacing the power supply and fan? It sounds like picking up another machine ( or swapping it with the other one )would be easier. I have 3 back-up machines and often swap between them. Sometimes they just need a rest or a good clean. I have read about model numbers having relevance, but I don't think it's proven, and only very early models are effected. - Does the lazer need to be stronger to read a CDR over a GDR? Is the lazer just on it's way out?

Umbrella$$Dreamcast
undertow

Post#3 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:52 pm

you need to try to slightly increase the resistance on the laser head and try to play, it should help for a while. have to buy a new laser head

truemaster1
minority

Post#4 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:34 am

check the model number if its say something about 2.1 its a model without mil-cd support (no backups) you can see it from the bottom. about your friend dreamcast what make noice? fan? gdrom? if yours say 1 or 0 its propably need cd tweek if its say 2.1 youre unlucly and you need modification. heres a va1 model see the 1 in the circle?
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =42&t=5451

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:51 am

Eh, this is super old, I bet that they are not even going to come back to the site because they have only one post. I am honestly not sure why Umbrella$$Dreamcast posted about it.

By all means, please help people, but the person posted in 2014 haha. About 6 years ago. No point trying to reply to a 6 year old thread my dude.

Here is the thing though, they haven't even been active since Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm...

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 am

Anthony817 wrote:Eh, this is super old, I bet that they are not even going to come back to the site because they have only one post. I am honestly not sure why Umbrella$$Dreamcast posted about it.

By all means, please help people, but the person posted in 2014 haha. About 6 years ago. No point trying to reply to a 6 year old thread my dude.

Here is the thing though, they haven't even been active since Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm...

Maybe there trying to be the new necrobump master ?

truemaster1
minority

Post#7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:13 pm

well lol. ive seen the threat name, and the date of the last post and i though it was a new. i feel stupid now looooolll