Buying games online and a small question.

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ott01
noob

Buying games online and a small question.

Post#1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Hey guys,

I finally, after 16 years, got my Dreamcast. It was the last console I really wanted but I could not get one back when it was commercially relevant. Well, 16 years later I have enough money to start my collection.
My Dreamcast arrived yesterday and I got a copule of burned games as freebies. Point is, I want to play as much original games as possible, but paying the equivallent of U$160 for an US copy of Shenmue is a bit off my limits. So I wanted to know if you guys recommend some online store I can buy the original games. Although, the store must ship internationally since I'm in Brazil. :/

A second question is: I got a VMU and when I opened the package it was an original VMU, in the box, sealed. Since the guy was selling about 20 of them I assumed it wasn't a big deal if I opened it. Should I have kept it in the box? Should I get another one and keep it sealed?

Thanks all,
I am the one, the only one
I am the god of kindgom come
Gimme the prize

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Buying games online and a small question.

Post#2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:54 am

Congrats on your newly acquired Dreamcast.
Hmm. Ebay, Amazon, hunting locally can be a journey sometimes, but they payoff can be worth the effort.

I don't see what the big deal could be if its sealed or not. There is quite abundant amount of old new stock for VMUs.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Nate
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Maybe not for Shenmue, but if you are on a budget, I recommend importing Japanese games. Try ebay of Play Asia. Their prices are reasonable (if they have something in stock). if you're on a budget and like certain games, like fighting games, the JPN releases are typically much cheaper than the US equivalent. For instance, look at the price of Project Justice or Mark of the Wolves. The JPN versions are typically much much cheaper than the US ones.

Ott01
noob

Post#4 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Yeah, I had no idea about the avaliability of the original VMUs, really seems very common.
Thanks for the tips, I'll really grab some Japanese fighting games, they seem way cheaper even on brazilian's "ebay".
I am the one, the only one
I am the god of kindgom come
Gimme the prize

Unorthodocks
dark night

Post#5 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:35 pm

I'm confused, where are you seeing $160 for shenmue? That usually goes for around $30 complete on ebay. Idk if you're in the states but craigslist is great but there aren't always deals, alot of time youll have to wait a month or two for decent stuff you're looking for. Just this week though I picked up a second DC i intend to sell, 2 controllers, VMU, Power Stone, THPS, Toy Commander, NBA 2K, NFL 2K, Trick Style, Crazy Taxi and PenPen Something-or-other all complete with case and manual, for $50. Plus some demo discs.

Craiglist you find lazy people who don't like ebay and don't bother appraising what they figure is their old junk, otherwise I'm sure this guy would have realized Power Stone alone is worth $50 easily.

Couple years ago I got a CIB ps1 with FF7, FF9 and FF Tatcics all mint black label for $30. Guy was moving out of state the next day and just wanted it gone.

Best deals I've ever found have been on craigslist where people have been selling the whole console with games for cheaper than just the games are worth. I just resell the console after if I already have it and that's just more money of what you payed.

I'll end up paying like $20 for all those games I got plus a controller once I sell the DC they came with

EDIT
Also forgot about a couple months ago when I got shenmue, sonic adventure and soul calibur for $40. He also threw in crazy taxi without a case just cause he had no use for it. disc 1 for shenmue unfortunately didn't work but I met up with the guy again and got $15 back so paid $25 for the 3 games I got.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#6 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Yeah us Americans are blessed with Craigslist, I have dozens of similar examples of outstanding deals I've found on there.

I'm not sure what you guys have in Brazil but locally owned used game stores are rather common here as well as thrift stores. You'd be amazed at what you can find in these places expecially in the bigger cities.

BUT I would trade all that for Brazil's beaches and women ;)

Post#7 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:53 pm

Yea, I live in USA and where I'm at in Iowa, Craigslist just has new overpriced stuff. Where I used to live in California it was full of great deals!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk