Disks?

Moderator: pcwzrd13

rjcoviello
lithium

Disks?

Post#1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 am

Am I going to need anything additional to play Phantasy online? I have both versions and a dreampi...I’ve been reading though about needing additional download stuff/disks on these various forums. I was naive enough to think with the dream pi and game after getting it set up with net browser or Quake III I’d be good to go. Feeling confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Disks?

Post#2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 am

If you are like me, I own and use the official PSOv2 PAL GD-ROM; but to connect, I have to use the PSO autoconnect disc. This is a free and legal download. Dreamcast-Live.net is the best source for all you will need.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#3 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 am

If you're using the US or Japanese releases of Version 2 of PSO (or the Japanese original release), then you'll need to go download/burn the Sylverant PSO Patcher (which is what Bob Dobbs was referring to). Even if you're using the European release of Version 2, I'd still recommend grabbing it as it has some bugfixes for the game included with it. You might also see it listed as "BlueCrab's PSO Patcher" or something similar (or even just the "PSO Patcher"). There are plenty of different places you can get it from.

Basically, you'll want to boot your Dreamcast up with that disc when you want to play online. It'll ask you to swap in your GD-ROM of PSO and once you do so it'll let you boot it in a way that will make it so that it'll connect to Sylverant instead of trying to connect to the now non-existent official servers. You will have to do this every time you want to play online, as the patches it makes are only done in the RAM of the console and don't survive reboots.

rjcoviello
lithium

Post#4 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 am

Is there a way to get the disc without burning it myself? I have a laptop at home and that’s about it, not really computer savvy.

rjcoviello
lithium

Post#5 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:13 am

And what other games are going to require some sort of boot up disc? I legit thought I would just hook the dream pi up, configure and play

Sega RPG

Post#6 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:47 am

none other game, but alien front online and maybe nba (maybe) may require to demilitarize (dmz) your dreamcast...

anyway if you want i can give you all the exact infos on burning the patcher as it's really really simple...

by the way, dricas is not supported by the dreampi so japanese games should not work, unless you have a bba, otherwise it's only pal/usa games...

rjcoviello
lithium

Post#7 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 am

@247 does this patcher work for all games? To include Phantasy or does each game require its own kind of disc?

Sega RPG

Post#8 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm

no patcher is exclusive to phantasy star, other games does not require patches anymore...

rjcoviello
lithium

Post#9 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:18 pm

@247 copy, I saw on the Dreamcast live. Thanks for the info! Hopefully be on this Friday night, I’m in Alaska though so I’m way behind on time lol

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#10 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 pm

The only online game that requires a boot disc is Phantasy Star Online. All the games listed with an * on this page https://www.dreamcastlive.net/connectio ... tion-guide will require you to DMZ/port forward. All other games should work without any other special setup,

Keep in mind that you will need a way to configure your Dreamcast's network settings. You can use an internet browser disc, and there are certain games that allow you to do it (I configured mine using Quake 3).