Newbie DMZ question...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
tripletopper
undertow

Re: Newbie DMZ question...

Post#21 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Okay, can you explain what LVI is exactly, and if there’s anything someone who is not comfortable with dissecting electronics, like myself, can do about it.

The most adventurous I got was Flashback modding an Intellivision 1, and repairing potentiometers on Atari 2600 and Astrocade controllers by opening it, pouring in 91% isopropylhol (not the 70% kind with medical herbs, the 91% with water as the only other ingredient), turning the knob a few times and reassembling, both with 100% success, and having questionable results with fixing the buttons of a Colecovision Super Action Controller. I never held a soldering gun, and I don’t understand electrical diagrams.

tripletopper
undertow

Post#22 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 pm

And if you don’t think I can do it, can you give detailed enough instructions where a local TV repairman can handle it, so I can point him to this page and ask him if he can do it.

Xiden

Post#23 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

LVI = Line Voltage Inducer. You have a few options.

Build your own, info here
https://youtu.be/aY7jjxPXd_8

Buy a premade one built into the modem(Recommended)
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop

tripletopper
undertow

Post#24 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Does my dreampi have it included by default? If you want I can send some pictures of it so you can tell.

If it doesn’t, is it as simple as swapping out the old modem and swapping in the new that can be bought at your second link?

If it does, and needs repair, is the part that needs replacing a simple swap out and in, or is it so integrated that I have to put it under the knife with a soldering gun?

Xiden

Post#25 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:31 pm

tripletopper wrote:Does my dreampi have it included by default? If you want I can send some pictures of it so you can tell.

If it doesn’t, is it as simple as swapping out the old modem and swapping in the new that can be bought at your second link?

If it does, and needs repair, is the part that needs replacing a simple swap out and in, or is it so integrated that I have to put it under the knife with a soldering gun?

If you are able to get online with your modem, then its likely built in. You might send a PM to pcwzrd13, he could likely repair it (or at least examine it)