Limiting MTU on the DreamPi - Instructions

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

lozz
core

Limiting MTU on the DreamPi - Instructions

Post#1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Hi all,

Many people recommend limiting your MTU on your router to 1400 to get a better online Dreamcast experience. However, it seems to be quite common for people to have routers that don't allow you to configure the MTU.

I had been searching for how to limit the MTU on the Pi itself for sometime, but couldn't find anything. Helpfully, SpaghettiCat, a member of the Sylverant discord, has now provided instructions, so I thought I'd share them here. I'm not familiar with Linux at all, so can't verify whether this is correct or not, but here goes:

"Here are the instructions to set MTU:

You have to login to the Pi using SSH (ssh command) , then you can run commands on the Pi.

Then you run the command sudo ip link set dev eth0 mtu 1400 (replace eth0 with wlan0 if your Pi gets access to the internet through Wifi rather than ethernet cable)
And that does it.
Test it, and if it helps, to make this permanent you can put that command in the file /etc/rc.local which is what runs on startup of the Pi"

Hopefully that is of use to someone!

lozz

anti
lithium

Re: Limiting MTU on the DreamPi - Instructions

Post#2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm

What games does this help with? I’ve yet to have to change mine on my router (haven’t ran into issues with my limited time online with dreampi)

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:13 am

PSO is the only game I knew to have issues with this. I have only ever experienced issues with a high MTU using a BBA. When you go to load a quest at the counter, it would crash the game. Also there was a chance loading into the lobby would corrupt your character and default you to the fat HUmar NPC.

Has anyone had such a problem using a DreamPI? I'd have to imagine its a non issue as the broadband connection gets reduced to the usual 56/28.8k speeds of the DC modem itself.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:19 am

Are MTU bugs really a ethernet/broadband exclusive? I die-harded (lv116 then lv141 when changed to force hunter) fresh into PSO when I first DreamPi'd late-January 2017 and've had nothing of the sort!

Reverie
noob

Post#5 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:27 pm

Hi! Piggybacking this thread to write a quick tutorial!
(Note, if you're using the Pi's ethernet, type "eth0" instead of "wlan0").

After booting your DreamPi, login with the username "Pi" and password "raspberry" (assuming you haven't changed your DreamPi password).

Once you're logged in, Enter:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

You should be brought to a new screen.

Now, in-between the lines that start with #By and #Print, Enter:

sudo ip link set dev wlan0 mtu 1400

If done correctly, it should look like this:

Now, press CRTL + X, then press Y, then press Enter.

Now, Enter:

reboot

To reboot your Raspberry Pi.

After rebooting, login to your Raspberry Pi and Enter:

ifconfig

If done correctly, your MTU should be set to 1400!