PSA: Issue with Configuring DC Now on Chromium Browsers

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

PSA: Issue with Configuring DC Now on Chromium Browsers

Post#1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:13 pm

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on an issue with Dreamcast Now. A recent update to Chromium-based browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera, etc...) is preventing Dreamcast Now from detecting DreamPi, and thus making configuring your username and avatar impossible with those browsers. In short, the browser now blocks requests from websites to devices on your local network (i.e. DreamPi). Kazade is looking into a fix but it may be a while and will likely require an updated DreamPi image.

That being said, there are a couple solutions or workarounds for now:

1. Use a non-Chromium browser such as Firefox, Safari, or... Internet Explorer *shivers*. :lol:

2. Disable the new "feature" that broke it in the first place. This is quite easy to do. Simply go to chrome://flags/#block-insecure-private-network-requests in your browser, and disable the highlighted option.

Feature.png

Just keep in mind that this is technically a security feature so be aware of this before disabling it. It's frankly not a big deal but I feel it's necessary to mention it to prevent legal action against myself. :lol:
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Retro-45
letterbomb

Re: PSA: Issue with Configuring DC Now on Chromium Browsers

Post#2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering why my dreampi wasn’t being picked up. I’ll try to make a account on the non Chromium browsers.

anti
lithium

Post#3 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am

Thanks for the heads up pcwzrd13!

It's a good security feature to keep enabled. There was a big Netgear router vulnerability a few years back that allowed anyone root access to their equipment through specially crafted URL's. This type of security feature would effectively block it. If anything, disable it - create your DC Now Account - then re-enable. No one needs to use Internet Explorer (disgusting)

ClackAttack
noob

Post#4 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:03 am

HaHA! This has had me stumped for a couple weeks, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

emi45k
noob

Post#5 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:54 pm

I had nooo idea why that was happening, I went to Firefox to set up my Dreampi today. I wish I looked at the forums earlier lol, thanks!

blitzgott
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:44 pm

Ive tried this in a few different browsers now with no luck. Is is different if Im running PC-DC in VirtualBox and trying to configure Dreamcast Now? I can see myself show up, I just cant get it to detect so I can configure beyond that

pigpenwm
shadow

Post#7 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:12 am

blitzgott wrote:Ive tried this in a few different browsers now with no luck. Is is different if Im running PC-DC in VirtualBox and trying to configure Dreamcast Now? I can see myself show up, I just cant get it to detect so I can configure beyond that

Having the same issue but using Dreampi. Unable to find Dreampi in Safari, Firefox or Chrome (with the setting disabled). Any tips?

pigpenwm
shadow

Post#8 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:23 pm

pigpenwm wrote:
blitzgott wrote:Ive tried this in a few different browsers now with no luck. Is is different if Im running PC-DC in VirtualBox and trying to configure Dreamcast Now? I can see myself show up, I just cant get it to detect so I can configure beyond that

Having the same issue but using Dreampi. Unable to find Dreampi in Safari, Firefox or Chrome (with the setting disabled). Any tips?

As a last ditch effort, I visited the Dreamcast Now! site on my iPhone (safari), hit configure and it detected it right away! Just in case anyone is having the same issue.

redjeff76
fire

Post#9 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:49 pm

I tried all this too, with no luck. I tried safari on my tablet as well. I have tried multiple browser's and even used Chrome with that specific setting disabled and I am still dissed! I just got my DreamPi and I believe pcwzrd13 gave me the most up to date DreampPi program. Yet still I cannot use Dreamcast Now.