Daytona USA Progress

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ioncannon
Anarki

Re: Daytona USA Progress

Post#71 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:28 pm

More progress! Figured out why I couldn't make/join a team. Looks like I need to take another stab at figuring out how join lobby works as the game field in the player object is being cleared. This stops me from joining a team.

Anyways, figured out the "add player to team" packet which is a bit of a doozy. Does some weird jump based on a byte field, and damn it we got byte data as well. Oh well; the engine defines this as "SharedMemory" I think. Seems there is Team and Player shared memory; probably to set the team settings (Track) and Player settings (Manual v Auto, Car type, etc).

Was able to also find what parts of that shared mem change what.

Pics:

Also first time actually seeing some game + music stuff:

Sennar83
rebel

Post#72 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:48 am

ioncannon wrote:More progress! Figured out why I couldn't make/join a team. Looks like I need to take another stab at figuring out how join lobby works as the game field in the player object is being cleared. This stops me from joining a team.

Anyways, figured out the "add player to team" packet which is a bit of a doozy. Does some weird jump based on a byte field, and damn it we got byte data as well. Oh well; the engine defines this as "SharedMemory" I think. Seems there is Team and Player shared memory; probably to set the team settings (Track) and Player settings (Manual v Auto, Car type, etc).

Was able to also find what parts of that shared mem change what.

Pics:

Also first time actually seeing some game + music stuff:

fantastic. but then how much is missing? you look 90% of the work

ioncannon
Anarki

Post#73 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am

Well I need to still actually build the lobby server (it's test data now). I also have no idea how the "Start Game" stuff works (plus how all the game server data is refreshed).

Once that is done I think the lobby server is finished. Then it's the game server itself to figure out.

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#74 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:20 am

I'm going to be honest, originally the images would never load for me, so for the longest time I thought this thread was ironically celebrating nothing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sennar83
rebel

Post#75 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:52 am

ioncannon wrote:Well I need to still actually build the lobby server (it's test data now). I also have no idea how the "Start Game" stuff works (plus how all the game server data is refreshed).

Once that is done I think the lobby server is finished. Then it's the game server itself to figure out.

I hope you can finish it soon

ioncannon
Anarki

Post#76 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:41 am

Well figured out the issue with adding players causing the lobby player list to be cleared. Seems it will purge any player that doesn't have the last bit flagged. Literally only had to use a 0x30 opcode instead of 0x2F.

So I can move between lobbies and teams now and it works pretty seamlessly. Next up is fixing Teams to properly set players as P1-P4.

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#77 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:41 am

Nice!!

mickschen
core

Post#78 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:13 am

Daytona Online would be a dream

Sennar83
rebel