Why are you still playing online games on your Dreamcast?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

LFS19
Fancy Pants Admin

Why are you still playing online games on your Dreamcast?

Post by LFS19 »

Hi everyone,

Given that Dreamcast is one of the only consoles to maintain a dedicated online presence years after its discontinuation, why do you, personally, choose to continue playing? Beyond the obvious factors of simply wanting to continue playing the games you did 25 years ago, why do you think Dreamcast has greater staying power in this regard where other, newer systems have not?

For me, there's obviously a huge nostalgic component, but there's something else, too, that I can't quite put my finger on. Feels like we're keeping the system alive in a way that goes beyond maintaining physical hardware, making for this weird but appealing synergy of new and old.

As physical media diminishes further and the very idea of a console is brought into question, I wonder what 'retro' gaming will mean in ten years or so. Perhaps fans will similarly reverse-engineer internet-only consoles to still be usable.

Holsten
fragger

Re: Why are you still playing online games on your Dreamcast?

Post by Holsten »

Because it´s the most fun. Coming togehter every Friday for the Quake 3 Fragnight, hanging out with my friends and like minded people on discord voice chat while playing a great game is the Highlight of my week.
Holsten knallt am dollsten.

dromdnb
Anarki
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Quake 3 Arena, Maximum Pool, Worms World Party, The Next Tetris, ChuChu Rocket, 4x4 Evolution

Post by dromdnb »

Just only for the fun. Never laugh so much on any other console, while i'm playing online :D
it's still thinking...

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

I have to point out that's like saying we have cars now why does any one ride a horse because we want to ? and it's fun.. It was sega's last console the real sega not the current one in name only..

Like remembering the passing of loved one .. There will never be another front leading sega console it's not like the others.. TIME STOPPED FOR REAL I own 12 of them and develop homebrew on it since 2002 and help indie developer improve and fix there games with know how and debugging etc. To me Dreamcast forever it's more then a console it's a family of liked minded people..

OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

I feel bad for gatekeeping and blasting a first-time poster, but things must be said.

Mods, this is a spam post seeking user engagement. Kindly DM me if you believe my statements to be wrong.

This same article was posted to reddit at the same time as OP here, and many recognizable names from within our community have already responded.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... es_online/

The source poster (u/NT202) posts 100% questions as original topics. and all comments lack substance. Everything published is kinda agreeable, non-specific, and absolutely lacking substance. Here's my based response, including supporting facts.
  • Given that Dreamcast is one of the only consoles to maintain a dedicated online presence years after its discontinuation,
    A leading statement, with support by a weak claim. Many online consoles including all 6th-gen continue to have online play. Such as:
    1. SNES, Genesis, Saturn - Xband through dreampi
    2. Dreamcast - many known methods
    3. Original Xbox - Team Insignia community https://insignia.live/#games
    4. PS2 - PS2 online community - https://ps2online.com/
    5. GC - OK, online support is weak, but you can play still connect to PSO I&II. Also, 4 of 8 online games supported LAN play.
    6. PS3 and Xbox360. Official stores have shutdown, but there are a surprising number of official servers online.
    7. PS VITA, PS4, Xbox One - many official servers online
    8. The list of 100% offline is short by comparison. Nintendo DS, 3DS, Wii U, Sony PSP, Nuon, Stadia, and probably some older consoles with obscure modems.
  • why do you, personally, choose to continue playing?
    Engagement question
  • Beyond the obvious factors of simply wanting to continue playing the games you did 25 years ago,
    A presumptive statement, leading to the next question.
    why do you think Dreamcast has greater staying power in this regard where other, newer systems have not?
    Another question.
    For me, there's obviously a huge nostalgic component, but there's something else, too, that I can't quite put my finger on. Feels like we're keeping the system alive in a way that goes beyond maintaining physical hardware, making for this weird but appealing synergy of new and old.
    Nostalgia. and synergy. Synergy hasn't been used unironically in 2 decades. I'm surprised you didn't say it's a "veritible cornucopia of fun".
  • As physical media diminishes further and the very idea of a console is brought into question, I wonder what 'retro' gaming will mean in ten years or so. Perhaps fans will similarly reverse-engineer internet-only consoles to still be usable.
    This one's a whopper! Here goes:
    1. Pysical media longevity has nothing to do with online connectivity.
    2. Retro gaming will continue to include old consoles and games, original or emulated. Nothing changes.
    3. Dreamcast isn't "internet-only" like Stadia. It is usable offline. An original retail console can connect to fan servers on the internet without mods.

Welcome to the future of AI. It's here! This sort of thing is the "new spam" and will certainly drown out other low-effort-but-legitimate help requests that typically bring new members to the community.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.