No DreamPi Updates for a while...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

kazade
Developer

No DreamPi Updates for a while...

Post#1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Just a heads up! Due to building work I've had to box up my entire retro collection (much sadness!) including my Dreamcast and DreamPi, so there won't be any updates for a couple of months.

Sorry! :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: No DreamPi Updates for a while...

Post#2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:14 pm

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#3 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:31 pm

No problem man! We can wait for the version 2.0! :P

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#4 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:37 am

@kazade Is there anything I can help with? I've been developing UPnP support for DreamPi (it's fully functional now), so I'm pretty familiar with the code base.

kazade
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:10 pm

@xerxes3rd that's awesome! I've been meaning to do that for a while!

Tbh I don't think there's anything urgent to release so it should be OK for now. Maybe 1.7 will include your improvements ;)

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#6 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Maybe some kind of custom wget repository can be setup, so one could type "sudo apt-get update/upgrade" and it updates Dreampi

This would allow people like Xerxes to add various softwares as long as they're approved by you
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#7 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:46 pm

kazade has DreamPi up in github. I think the github repo is a little behind what's in 1.6. I think that would be the optimal way of updating without reflashing- pulling the latest from github.

kazade
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:30 am

The problem is that there is more to Dreampi than just the script. There's the dnsmasq config for example, additional programs for manipulating packets etc. By creating a full image I can configure everything and know that when someone is using 1.6 that they have everything they need as a snapshot.

If I add auto updating it's a lot more work to make sure an update pulls in everything it needs. This is probably solvable by properly packaging the Dreampi code in a deb package but then that's something I'll have to do with each release, and I need to setup a repository etc.

It's just so much easier for me to snapshot the image for now. At some point I'll package it properly... hopefully!

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#9 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am

Totally understand! In the coming weeks, I can try and identify the other configs & binaries that go along with DreamPi, and see about creating an installer/updater script for them. I should be able to test out the installer against a vanilla Raspbian installation.

Of course, I won't try and make my own DreamPi distribution for this, since it's your project. I'd probably fork the DreamPi GitHub, make additions/modifications, then send you a pull request for you to review, kazade. That way you could review the changes and accept or reject it as you see fit.

Thanks again for all the work you do on DreamPi!!!