DreamPi UPnP: Testers Needed!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xerxes3rd
fire

DreamPi UPnP: Testers Needed!

Post#1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Over the last couple weeks I've been working on adding UPnP support to DreamPi. UPnP will allow the DreamPi to work without having to do manual port forwarding or setting a DMZ in your router. Before I can submit the new code to kazade, however, I need some folks to run a test script that will tell me if my code will work for you. In order to run the test, there are 2 commands that you'll need to type into the console of your Pi. You can do this directly with a USB keyboard, or remotely via telnet/SSH.

The instructions for running the test can be found at: https://github.com/Xerxes3rd/xerxesUPnP under the "Testing" section. After you run the test, the last command will spit out a URL, which will be a link to the test results. Please paste that link here so I can examine the results.

Please note that this will currently NOT work with Apple routers (Airport Express, Airport Extreme, Time Capsule), since they don't support UPnP. If all goes well, I may consider adding support for NAT-PMP in order to support Apple routers.

Thanks all!

Edit: I simplified the testing procedure; there are only two commands to run now!

Jon
rebel

Re: DreamPi UPnP: Testers Needed!

Post#2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:17 pm

I'll do this tonite and update with results.

Update: I ran the test script successfully, and I can see that it did a fair bit of searching of my LAN and found a number of UPnP devices -- but not my DreamPi (could this be because its set to a static IP -- not DHCP?) Were you hoping it would find a Dreamcast -- cause I guess then I should have one on and connected.

Since the output has so many intimate details of my home network, I'll PM you the output link.

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Xerxes3rd wrote:Over the last couple weeks I've been working on adding UPnP support to DreamPi. UPnP will allow the DreamPi to work without having to do manual port forwarding or setting a DMZ in your router. Before I can submit the new code to kazade, however, I need some folks to run a test script that will tell me if my code will work for you. In order to run the test, there are 2 commands that you'll need to type into the console of your Pi. You can do this directly with a USB keyboard, or remotely via telnet/SSH.

The instructions for running the test can be found at: https://github.com/Xerxes3rd/xerxesUPnP under the "Testing" section. After you run the test, the last command will spit out a URL, which will be a link to the test results. Please paste that link here so I can examine the results.

Please note that this will currently NOT work with Apple routers (Airport Express, Airport Extreme, Time Capsule), since they don't support UPnP. If all goes well, I may consider adding support for NAT-PMP in order to support Apple routers.

Thanks all!

Edit: I simplified the testing procedure; there are only two commands to run now!

Ran the test, I'm also just going to PM you my output

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#4 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks guys! The script is actually looking for your router. In Jon's case, it couldn't find it. Jon, what kind of router do you have, and do you know if it has UPnP enabled?

Xiden, the script found your router, and it looks like the script was able to add & remove port mappings successfully.

I have a little more work to do- in another user's case, the script failed to identify the router (and it was definitely present). Thanks again for the help!

Jon
rebel

Post#5 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:29 am

It's a Cisco wrt-120n, running DD-WRT. There's also a Cisco e2500 and an old wrt54l running in different modes with Dd-wrt that it didn't find (one is acting as a bridge, the other as a wifi extender)
It's possible that upnp is off, I'll double check.

Update: upnp is enabled. And I can see from the logs that Skype is using it.

Update to update: I have a spare wrt54. I could put dd-wrt on it and mail it to you, if that would help!
Last edited by Jon on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmjwid
Anarki

Post#6 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 am

I'll give this a go tonight but my router is garbage with UPnP. It struggles to port forward anything at all manually and fails with most devices like the ps4 and xbox one.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#7 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:21 am

@Jon: Thanks. I wonder if my script just didn't process the replies fast enough, and ended up missing the reply from the router. I'll make some modifications in the next few days and see if I can streamline it.

Thanks for the offer to send a router to me, but I have a few old DD-WRT-capable routers sitting around in a closet, so I'll load those up as bridges and see what happens. If all else fails, I can always hit the local thrift stores and buy a few more (much to my wife's chagrin- she makes fun of me enough already for having so many old routers).

Jon
rebel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 pm

FWIW, my main router (the one that sits between my Pi and the Internet) is not in any special modes. Just a stock DD-WRT setup.
Last edited by Jon on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#9 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks Jon, that's good to know. My router is the same- just a regular ol' DD-WRT. Over the next few evenings I'll do some code cleanup and optimizing, since the current testing output is a little overly verbose.

Whiteysnakey
rebel

Post#10 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:53 am

-