Connection issues with newly setup dreampi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Connection issues with newly setup dreampi

Post#11 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Rolly wrote:Hello everyone!
I got problem with online connection. I have all stuff and Pal Modem. Votage inducer with usb and version with 2 battery.
Tested both of them but DreamPi still not work.
Modem USB possiby work fine. Settings looks also ok. Planet Web dialing modem over and over... :|
I have no idea where is the problem. Maybe R11 cables (one of them have 3 lines, secondary only 2)?
On bottom some of shots.

Image Image Image Image

Any suggestions?

First question is are you using dreampi 1.6?

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#12 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Yes. Downloaded from http://www.dreamcastlive.net/downloads.html - file name DreamPi-1.6.img

Xiden
Developer

Post#13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Can you connect to any dreamcast internet browsers? If not what error are you getting?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#14 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Out of curiosity, how long is your phone cable?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#15 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:32 am

I have 3 cables (3m, 5m, and 50 cm) - litlle diference is i line construction (see on added pictures - maybe this is the problem).
Or in my voltage inducer (this is friend of mine homemade, but he informed me "USB inducer have 20V") - second its moded two R11 extension with 2 battery. Also on pcitures above.
USB Modem should flashing (1/ 2 LEDs) or something?
Its normal to see warrings on DreamPi log (screenshots)?

Browsers info (nothing special):
Planet Web : Modem Dialing
XDP : normal info with ISP problem, please check the modem line or modem setup

Adamer
shadow

Post#16 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:48 am

Is it possible that I've seen your review of a modem on AliExpress? If so, that modem is definitely Winmodem and it's impossible to make it work with DreamPi. USB modem should have both lights on when it is online. As for the number of wires, you just need the inner two. The modem has only two pins as well.

Login in and type "lsusb" (LSUSB) and post results please. You can also try something like "cat /dev/ttyACM0".

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#17 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:51 am

Hmm possibly from AliExpress (i must find this order) but, looks (and have te same driver CD) like sugest Kazade on his blog.
On USB Modem only one led is flashing :/
Here is DPi log:

Adamer
shadow

Post#18 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:43 am

Like I thought, it's a softmodem. http://www.linuxant.com/pipermail/hsfli ... 01467.html You either have to get Dell modem that is recommended here, or try luck with some other Chinese seller...

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#19 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Thank You for all help and your time Adamer ;) All now is clear!
Should I rIsk with this stuff from Kazade recomendation?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-USB-56K-V ... 2220908558

Adamer
shadow

Post#20 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Description says nothing about Linux support, so I assume this is a softmodem as well. If Kazede got proper modem from this seller I would suspect that he got lucky and seller is selling mixed soft and proper modems.

If it's a proper modem, you shouldn't need a CD in the first place, since they are plug&play on both Linux and Windows.

You might try your local craiglist equivalent. Dial-up modems are pretty much worthless and you could maybe find some big one with USB/USB-serial for cheap? Worth a try if you can get them for cheap.

I've got mine as a used one from Ebay from UK. It was around 20€ I think, buy what can you do...