Game im playing on dreamcast now

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mechanic
Vagabond

Re: Game im playing on dreamcast now

Post#11 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Mechanic wrote:if you want quake to show on dc now just create a second dialup account within q3 and set both dns to 0.0.0.0 and leave the other diaup info the same. Worked for me. Then when connecting to q3 just use that's 2nd account. Leave the 1st account alone or it will affect other games.

Arnold.D wrote:Ok I tried the DNS to all 0s and I show up playing quake now

That's strange that that would fix the issue. The DNS server specified on the Dreamcast is ignored and overridden by DreamPi so it really shouldn't matter at all what you put there. That's why you're able to put 0.0.0.0 in there instead of the proper DNS which is 46.101.91.123. Regardless, you don't need to put this in the secondary dial-up account settings. You can set the DNS to 0.0.0.0 on the primary. In fact, that's what I specify for the DNS in my video tutorial.

Oh I didn't know if 0's would effect other games .
Ok so ill set 0's in primary account thx.
Italian Stallion

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#12 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 am

Ok so after some packet logging, I've figured out why setting the DNS to 0.0.0.0 fixes the issue (sort of). When the DNS is set to this, the DNS requests are handled entirely by the Pi (DNS lookups are sent from the Pi's IP address instead of the Dreamcast's). Since DreamPi is reporting to DC Now, this is a good thing. Somehow the DNS request doesn't go through the Pi when the DNS is set to anything other than 0.0.0.0 (at least DreamPi doesn't pick it up anyway). It's strange because this only seems to be an issue with Quake III Arena. I guess it must have something to do with how Quake does DNS lookups. Regardless, this does fix the issue so I've added it to the troubleshooting guide on Dreamcast Live. Thanks to all for pointing this out!
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#13 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am

CHEERS!!!!

BURPPP!
Italian Stallion

Apex