Daytona Usa 2001 Online Archive

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Daytona Usa 2001 Online Archive

Post#11 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Mechanic wrote:Hey just burned daytona usa and tried netplay only to find i need some sort of serial key in the vmu to get online. then it booted me out to the dreamcast home screen. Maybe a cdi issue or just the lack of a serial key

Daytona USA isn't back online yet. Check the page below for games that have been reactivated. It's a time consuming process because the guys here basically have to rebuild the servers to get each game to work - and it's not a generic connection so it's not a one-fix-fits-all deal.
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/games.html

Checking out the IGN reviews on this page - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9797
First off, unlike Phantasy Star Online there's no serial number or card key you have to enter when you wanna play Daytona online. However, before you play online, you do have to go to the Daytona homepage and download an access save file from the site. This is pretty painless, as you go through the standard creation logins of username, passwords, and optional information to fill out. Once you've downloaded the save file, you can no enter Network Battle. At this point, there are two main severs to access, each with Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert lobbies for players to hangout (24 lobbies in all). Additionally, you can create your own lobby as well. Once you're in a lobby, you can chill and chat or setup games and although you don't necessarily need a keyboard to chat (a dropdown keyboard will come up on screen if you don't), we all know how much fun typing with the DC pad can be. And if you have a hard time finding your pals for a race, there's a handy User search that searches by the player's handle.

This review gives us a lot of information on the set up of the Daytona USA online system, at least in a general sense. The Daytona USA access save file is likely the key that told Daytona where to connect. If that's the case, building a modified save file for the VMU would be the logical way to reroute the server (however the server would need to be set up and ready to go). It appears the online side of Daytona was 60fps smooth, but the opponents car would jump/teleport from spot to spot at times. This may be fixed with the max-speed solution of the DreamPi rather than internet connections of the era, but we won't know that until the game is brought back online either.
I'd be well up for some head-to-head Daytona USA though :)

As for MSR, I think trying to pull in games that weren't designed with online play in mind across is a bit too much atm. If we were going to try it, it would be an experiment that would first go through attempting online play through F355 Challenge's local LAN play (Tricking the Serial Port into playing over the internet). That might give a bit more information as to how to adapt multiplayer code for online play. While it would be awesome to MSR online, I think it's too much of an experiment to be of value at this point. If you look at that page of games, you'll see there's plenty of online-driven titles that need some love.

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#12 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi Roareye, welcome to dctalk. Sorry i failed to mention that i been here a bit and know whats online but you have just givin us some great info on Daytona. People like yourself is what makes this site great. dilly dilly
Italian Stallion

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#13 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Damn, should have looked at your post count XD Sorry.

I'm unfortunately useless on anything code or server related, but I'd love to help in any way I can. If that's just relaying a bit of info, then I'll do that. Playing online on DC has revived my passion for gaming since almost all modern games suck and require horrific Loot Boxes to function =/ Even when I split my knee open last June, with an Xbox One and PS4 ready to play, I dragged myself across the floor to play my Mega CD (Shining Force CD) because I was so disgruntled with modern games. I'd never finished the game before, so I 100%'d it within a week or so :D

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#14 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Roareye wrote:Damn, should have looked at your post count XD Sorry.

I'm unfortunately useless on anything code or server related, but I'd love to help in any way I can. If that's just relaying a bit of info, then I'll do that. Playing online on DC has revived my passion for gaming since almost all modern games suck and require horrific Loot Boxes to function =/ Even when I split my knee open last June, with an Xbox One and PS4 ready to play, I dragged myself across the floor to play my Mega CD (Shining Force CD) because I was so disgruntled with modern games. I'd never finished the game before, so I 100%'d it within a week or so :D

So true my friend!

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#15 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:51 pm

well said guys, , Bring it in for a sweaty man hugg
Italian Stallion

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#16 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:08 pm

Mechanic wrote:well said guys, , Bring it in for a sweaty man hugg

I second that, Mech...but only on Sunday after the Eagles win the NFL Super Bowl.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Xiden
Developer

Post#17 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Mechanic wrote:wow ! that game still goin strong in dave and busters . Hey just burned daytona usa and tried netplay only to find i need some sort of serial key in the vmu to get online. then it booted me out to the dreamcast home screen. Maybe a cdi issue or just the lack of a serial key

The Serial key for the VMU was recovered last year :) PCwzrd has a copy and I believe Shu might as well so when ever Daytona reversing begins we will at at least have the key

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#18 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Xiden wrote:
Mechanic wrote:wow ! that game still goin strong in dave and busters . Hey just burned daytona usa and tried netplay only to find i need some sort of serial key in the vmu to get online. then it booted me out to the dreamcast home screen. Maybe a cdi issue or just the lack of a serial key

The Serial key for the VMU was recovered last year :) PCwzrd has a copy and I believe Shu might as well so when ever Daytona reversing begins we will at at least have the key

That would have sucked if that was lost

Shuouma
Developer

Post#19 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:05 am

Yeah I have the key so we are all set :)

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#20 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:24 am

WOOHOO!
Is there anything anyone with the programming skill of a melted snail can help with? Resource finding or anything?