Maximum voltage for line inducer?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mattek
rebel

Maximum voltage for line inducer?

Post#1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:29 am

Hi there,

I definitely got interested with connecting Dreamcast to the Internet and would like to give it a try.
I ordered Lenovo RD02-D400 modem in order to connect it with DC-PC server (DreamPi solution in the future). However, problem occured with finding AC-DC adaptor which could give me 18V output (I have PAL modem) to line inducer. I found one in my home, but it's totally unstabilized - being idle it gives me 32V and I'm a bit afraid that it's too much. On the other hand, however, telephone line had even 50V and that was ok.
Is there anyone who tried making line inducer with higher voltage than 18V and can confirm that everything was ok?

Best regards!

Mechanic
Vagabond

Re: Maximum voltage for line inducer?

Post#2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 am

Hi mattek
How bout just adding resisters unyill you get the down to 18volts
Italian Stallion

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 am

http://www.jkaudio.com/article_10.htm interesting read on line voltage. Im sure the dc modem could handle it, but the usb modem could be a different story. Adding pull down resistors could help as mech said to get closer to 18v.

mattek
rebel

Post#4 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:04 am

I thought about it but don't know how big resistor should I use? Maybe I have somewhere sufficient resistor.

EDIT:
I made some measurments a bit: when I connect power supply to Voltage Inducer, it gives me 30V of course, but after capacitor I have 21V.

mattek
rebel

Post#5 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 am

Sorry for double post!
I decided not to take any risk with Dreamcast and I ordered boost converter. Thank you for help. See you online :D

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 am

mattek wrote:Sorry for double post!
I decided not to take any risk with Dreamcast and I ordered boost converter. Thank you for help. See you online :D

Sounds good man! Glad to see more players! :D