DreamPi 1.7 Released!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

thecodygriffin
undertow

Re: DreamPi 1.7 Released!

Post#21 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 pm

I just finished my upgrade on my Raspberry Pi B+ and it seems to be an awesome improvement. The boot process is quicker (and has no warnings or errors) and dhcpcd appears to be simplified allowing for an simpler static IP configuration.

The only downside appears to be that 5 of the required packages for dcgmail are not installed by default, but the dcgmail script downloads them anyways, so it is ultimately not an issue.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:55 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Just overwrite the drive labeled "boot".

You mean just hit Write again in Win32DiskImager selecting v1.7 and the old version will poof?

Been using Windows formatter too, guess I should not

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#23 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:does the baud rate detection make the 56k connection faster?

does the minimal OS make boot times faster? if so, how much faster?

my question still stands
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

mistasyn
noob

Post#24 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 am

When i purchased my dreamPi last year it was already configured. So I'm going to attempt the upgrade on my own. I'm using OSX 10.12.6 and I downloaded the zip. Is there a way I can update from the dreamPi itself or do i have to update as if I was installing from scratch? If its from scratch...is there something i can just copy over and install into the dream pi or do i have to go through all the sudo codes thats in the tutorial?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#25 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am

mistasyn wrote:When i purchased my dreamPi last year it was already configured. So I'm going to attempt the upgrade on my own. I'm using OSX 10.12.6 and I downloaded the zip. Is there a way I can update from the dreamPi itself or do i have to update as if I was installing from scratch?

You have to overwrite the SD card with the new image. You need to do this using a computer and an SD card reader. There are instructions on how to do that with a Mac here.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#26 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 am

NOTICE: We've identified a bug with 1.7 that prevents it from starting up about 50% of the time. There will be an updated image released to fix this but in the meantime, you can try fixing it manually by following the instructions below.

1. Plug the Pi into a TV or monitor, plug in a USB keyboard, and then power it up.
2. Log into the Pi (Username pi, Password raspberry).
3. Type cd ~/dreampi && git reset HEAD --hard && git pull -r and hit Enter.
4. Reboot the Pi.

Manual fix (Start with steps 1 & 2 above):

1. Type sudo pico /dreampi/dreampi.py and hit Enter.
2. Scroll down and find the line that says "def detect_device_and_speed(): MAX_SPEED = 57600" (it should be shortly after the green text starts).

Max Speed.jpg

3. Make a new line below it and add the following:

return ("ttyACM0", MAX_SPEED)

4. Press Ctrl + X, then Y when it asks if you want to save, and then Enter to save and close.
5. Reboot the Pi.
PSO Characters:

kazade
Developer

Post#27 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:18 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:
DR TEAMCAST wrote:does the baud rate detection make the 56k connection faster?

does the minimal OS make boot times faster? if so, how much faster?

my question still stands

Sorry. In answer to your questions:

Possibly, it will try to detect the speed but cap it at 56k whereas before it capped at 33.6. We're still working out if that's introduced this random bug, but after more testing I don't think it has, something else is going on.

The boot time should be faster, I don't know how much faster though.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#28 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm

The bug in 1.7 has been fixed (Thanks Shu!) ! I've updated the instructions above with the fix if you want to try and apply the fix manually. Kazade is going to try and upload a new image this weekend as well if you prefer to wait.
PSO Characters:

Shuouma
Developer

Post#29 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm

The bug in 1.7 has been fixed (Thanks Shu!) ! I've updated the instructions above with the fix if you want to try and apply the fix manually. Kazade is going to try and upload a new image this weekend as well if you prefer to wait.

Np, really strange issue

itsbranden
noob

Post#30 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:10 pm

I have tried applying the fix detailed in pcwzrd13's post but still having trouble connecting to Sylverant's PSO server.

Using IVES boot disk, like I always did on 1.6 and it freezes right after it says it's connected, and the lobby starts to load in. I never actually get any ship menu, etc.

I tried using the web browser and that seems to work fine, I have not tested any other online games, however.

Is anyone else having this issue? Both modem lights are lit up.

EDIT: I actually ended up testing this while doing some light troubleshooting with Shuouma (thank you!).
I put the dreamcast's ip in the DMZ and fired up PSO and it worked -
Dreamcast ip is 192.168.0.98 (not sure if it's the same on everyone's pi or not).
So this is resolved for me.
Thanks to BlueCrab and Shuouma for their patience in troubleshooting this with me!
Last edited by itsbranden on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.