Newbie DMZ question...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Newbie DMZ question...

Post#11 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm

If you want, post a screen shot of your router settings on here.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#12 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm

What’s a good dial-up-friendly site that should work with a Dreamcast browser? I guess google.com or one of my wbesites:
tripletopper.com
pokerradiogameshow.com
56ok.org
jacofallgamestv.com
netrogames.com

I only have 1.5 Mb/s internet, so these sites should be not too bad, otherwise it’d take forever FTP-ing the files.

Xiden
Developer

Post#13 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Dreampipe.net will work

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#14 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Well I have tested it with one of my websitess I mentioned. The modern graphical interface isn’t there but the text of the content is, so we know my dreampi works for getting interent.

At first when I get on Alien Front Online, it strated to stall once I got into the character selection screen and dies 5 seconds later. I first went on w website to verify the MAC address of the Dreamcast. (I believe its number is always XXX.XXX.XXX.98 . So I remebered the last 2 2-hex numbers, because the odds of 2 differing last 2 2-hex number for a MAC is like less than 1 out of 10,000.
Anyway I DMZed it, and it put me in a match with both, but there are a message saying losing signal, trying to es-establish connection. So I was moving and shoting blindly,a nd dodging randomly, then 30 seconds into the hgame I disconnected.

But this time I actually got into gameplay elements. It just kicked me off after 30 blind-firing seconds against bots.

I looked up on Google the following: "Netgear 7550 Frontier DMZ" and found an "forum" saying Static Nat options and DMZ options are mixed up specifically on this ISP/router combination. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r284508 ... r-7550-DMZ is the website where I found out about static IP. Here goes nothing...

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#15 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Well I tried Static NAT like the Forontier/Netgear 7550/DMZ sites say and I still get kicked off gameplay within thirty seconds.

I know my Dreampi works with the internet because I can get my website 56ok.org , albeit not formatted in a way my OS10.14 Mac would.

Speaking of 56ok.org, I always have security at 0, which you can afford to do with a house with no Windows., I tried DMZing WITH the same zero security, I tried Static NATting the xxx.xxx.xxx.98’s corresponding MAC address WITH the same zero security settings. If I had a Windows PC, it would die from exposure. I don’t know how much more insecure I can make the Dreamcast or the network in general.

I need some help. If I can’t game on Dreamcast, then I traded an extra Xbox 360 HD DVD Player, Remote, instruciotns, Box, bot disc, and King Kong HD DVD, plus one thrift store special game, and a game I traded for earlier on the same service, whihc scost me $8 to replace, for an expensive dialup equipment for my dreamcast that lets me access websites on my Dreamcast at dial-up speeds. 100% of the value of the DreamPi was in playing Dreamcast games online.

Is there a certain minimum speed your DSL modem needs to be at. We are very far away from the central office and the best we can do is 1.5 Mb/s in, 400 kb/s out, hence why I established the website 56ok.org. And the excuse that other internet equipment took over and hogged it is not in play because I’m the only one home when I tested it.

Am I going to have to give Alien Front Online in 2018 a rating of "56KO"? the bad rating on my website? Or is thee another reason, a correctable reason why this doesn’t work. And that was too bad, I would say the Dreamcast network and games were 56ok back in the days when we ONLY had dial up, but unfortunately got to say gets a 56KO when we can go faster?1? That’s why there are Amish side roads and underpasses in a busy road in Amish country on a 2 lane 55 MPH state route near Dover Ohio: Amish Buggies and SUVs are not meant to share the same road.

Xiden
Developer

Post#16 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:40 pm

tripletopper wrote:Well I tried Static NAT like the Forontier/Netgear 7550/DMZ sites say and I still get kicked off gameplay within thirty seconds.

I know my Dreampi works with the internet because I can get my website 56ok.org , albeit not formatted in a way my OS10.14 Mac would.

Speaking of 56ok.org, I always have security at 0, which you can afford to do with a house with no Windows., I tried DMZing WITH the same zero security, I tried Static NATting the xxx.xxx.xxx.98’s corresponding MAC address WITH the same zero security settings. If I had a Windows PC, it would die from exposure. I don’t know how much more insecure I can make the Dreamcast or the network in general.

I need some help. If I can’t game on Dreamcast, then I traded an extra Xbox 360 HD DVD Player, Remote, instruciotns, Box, bot disc, and King Kong HD DVD, plus one thrift store special game, and a game I traded for earlier on the same service, whihc scost me $8 to replace, for an expensive dialup equipment for my dreamcast that lets me access websites on my Dreamcast at dial-up speeds. 100% of the value of the DreamPi was in playing Dreamcast games online.

Is there a certain minimum speed your DSL modem needs to be at. We are very far away from the central office and the best we can do is 1.5 Mb/s in, 400 kb/s out, hence why I established the website 56ok.org. And the excuse that other internet equipment took over and hogged it is not in play because I’m the only one home when I tested it.

Am I going to have to give Alien Front Online in 2018 a rating of "56KO"? the bad rating on my website? Or is thee another reason, a correctable reason why this doesn’t work. And that was too bad, I would say the Dreamcast network and games were 56ok back in the days when we ONLY had dial up, but unfortunately got to say gets a 56KO when we can go faster?1? That’s why there are Amish side roads and underpasses in a busy road in Amish country on a 2 lane 55 MPH state route near Dover Ohio: Amish Buggies and SUVs are not meant to share the same road.

When you connect with AFO what speed does it say the modem connect at? You should always be getting 36.6k Connection when you dial into AFO. If not, you need to find a better power supply for your raspberry pi. Or you could have a faulty Line Voltage Inducer. The game can only go as fast as the Modem goes, and of course how well your ISP even works. I can say we have tons of players who play AFO without issue all the time.
Last edited by Xiden on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#17 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 pm

The issues you're having aren't DMZ-related. From what you've described, I'm 99% certain your problems are being caused by a faulty line voltage inducer. You might not notice it with the web browser but the games require a much more stable and consistent connection.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#18 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Also of note, when I select Static NAT, which according to some places is DMZ, I notice there are multiple copies of the same MAC Address, the same MAC address as the Dreamcast.

All right: power issues. I have a handmade Dreampi, whose maker said it worked. It has a MicorUSB port for power, which I plug into a USB Power brick, and that is plugged into a Surge Protector.

Does the surge protector kill it? Must it be directly pluged in the outlet?

Also my USB power brick has 2 amperage levels, one for iPhone, and one for others, does it matter which one I use?

Now I just got this in trade. I did not build it myself, nor know how fix it. If it’s a power issue, I just don’t know what to do.

By the way my Dreampi has a Composite output, perfect for my CRT TV, but hard to read, even though I use S-Video for my Dreamcast.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#19 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Xiden wrote:When you connect with AFO what speed does it say the modem connect at? You should always be getting 36.6k Connection when you dial into AFO. If not, you need to find a better power supply for your raspberry pi. Or you could have a faulty Line Voltage Inducer. The game can only go as fast as the Modem goes, and of course how well your ISP even works. I can say we have tons of players who play AFO without issue all the time.

Are you sure you didn’t mistype, and when you said 36.6k, you meant 33.6k as in thirty three thousand, six hundred bauds, where a baud is a bit per second?

Every time I got 33600 baud. I thought that was the right number, because 56 kilobauds was the "one way" time when you’re just downloading or just uploading, but 33.6 I remember being the speed limit for "two way mode" where it simultaneously sends and receives. NOT 36.6

If you meant 36.6, I’m 3 kb/s shy. If you mistyped, then there’s some other issue.

By the way, I’m questioning whether cellular is too high ping for Dreamcast. But that’s a different topic. By the way, I’m using out-of-range DSL, not cellular. !.5 Mb/s in, 400 kb/s out.

Xiden
Developer

Post#20 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm

33600 should be what u get each time u connect. If u get that. Then the sounds like your LVI is bad. But pi power is good.