street fighter online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Rhys17
lithium

street fighter online

Post#1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Will one of the street fighters come online again.

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Re: street fighter online

Post#2 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:07 pm

none of the US street fighters were online..i'm assuming the japanese ones did? idk

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#3 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Many of the Capcom fighters had online in Japan, such as Capcom Vs SNK, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, and Street Fighter Third Strike. None of them have been revived yet though.

Personally, I'm very curious how well a fighting game would work over dial up, especially one as hardcore as Third Strike.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 pm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for Matching Service
King of Fighters 99 Evolution (not Capcom but meh)
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter II X for Matching Service
Street Fighter Zero 3
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (puzzle spinoff)
Vampire Chronicles for Matching Service (aka Darkstalkers)

They all had online play exclusively in Japan. Sadly none of the Japanese titles are back online yet, and many of them use an outdated analogue dial up service completely unique to Japanese phone line infrastructure, so they will likely be offline for a while longer. There's 6 Capcom fighters when the time comes though, and an additional King of Fighters and Puzzle Fighter spinoff to enjoy

Sega RPG

Post#5 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:09 pm

i do assume they will never be brought back online but i'd really love to do an online with kof or sf3

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#6 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:57 pm

247 wrote:i do assume they will never be brought back online but i'd really love to do an online with kof or sf3

Don't know about King of Fighters but I know Street Fighter 3 has had a few re releases that support online play. I wouldn't recommend the 30th Anniversary Collection though (at least for online), its netcode is pretty bad.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#7 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:39 am

Never say never, the later releases used more up to date connection methods, but it's a long way off for sure. It can take a long time for US/PAL games to return online and they have comparatively less to untangle.

moon.sarito1
undertow

Post#8 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:51 pm

I really wanted to see BomberMan Online back in action, in my opinion after Phantasy Star Online is the best game to play Online on Dreamcast, even more so for up to 8 people, but, Street Fighter would be cool to see too, the more games the better.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#9 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Bomberman Online is being worked on, and because it uses basically the same protocols as Outtrigger and Propeller Arena those two will follow suit once Bomberman is ready.

Street Fighter titles were only online multiplayer in Japan (Though Western releases had website and DLC support, they didn't include online play). Online multiplayer with Japanese titles is extra difficult due to how the Japanese phone system manually connected people. You'd have to emulate the entire Japanese phone network first, then the specific online play code (KDDI or DWANGO) before beginning to figure out each title.

It's not impossible, but it's definitely a long way off.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#10 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:38 pm

I do know that there are a few online PS2 games that used KDDI that have been revived, most notably Biohazard (Resident Evil) Outbreak. I doubt that really means much in terms of these Dreamcast games, but it's worth noting I guess.