DreamPi help needed:Macintosh, running Pi, and Vonets device

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: DreamPi help needed:Macintosh, running Pi, and Vonets device

Post#21 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 pm

tripletopper wrote:Here are my pictures. I couldn’t get a clear shot due to shadows covering the item. if I were to go close and directly on top

0518191539-00.jpg0518191539-01.jpg0518191540-00.jpg0518191544-00.jpg

I couldn’t read te text on the Pi in the picture, so let me transcribe the Pi info printed on the board...

.. The only thing I can see is a Pi copyright date:

C 2012.12

That looks like a raspberry model 1 B. I don't believe thats compatible with dreampi 1.7. You might send a PM to pcwzrd13 or kazade to confirm this.

You can get a new raspberry pi 3 for about 35 bucks on Amazon. Plus it has wifi built in.

If it is compatible with your model, you could have a defective pi unit since you are not getting any video. You could try flashing noobs on it from raspberry pis official website to verify if its working.

Xiden
Developer

Post#22 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Another note, do you know if that modem has a line voltage inducer built in? You will need a line voltage inducer or the dreamcast will not connect.

If you want, u can buy a premade kit with modem, ready out of the box from dreamcastlive.com/shop

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#23 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:59 pm

First of all, the sent picture shows a power wire going from the USB port into some sort of "sillly putty egg" and then, coming out of it, 2 Telephone male cable ends. I assume that’s the voltage inducer, because before I upgraded, I don’t know which version of Dream Pi I had, yet it worked in getting me websites using the Planet Web Browser.

I just had issues dealing with the ethernet connection for gaming, because of the Frontier DSL Netgear 7550 gateway, Because some versions of them have DMZ and one other feature switched, and some do not.

Also it’s unclear whether you need a separate modem and router or a gateway. Yet Frontier said even as far back as 2013 when we got DSL, they never made separate DSL modems and routers. Straight routers are easy to find. IT’s the DSL modem that’s tough.

Also adding to the problem is there is a seocnd wireless node closer to my room. It’s in wireless N range, but my 3DS only uses WIreless G, so I had to extend the signal, and sometimes Xbox is giving closed nat types. Then again my speed is 1.6 Mb/s in 400 kb/s out at the best of times.

So a couple of questions.

1) Will the newest version of Dreampi that runs with a 1B work with the following:

a) Ethernet-based Wi-Fi Bridges
b) Sega Swirl and Gmail

2) What IS the latest version of DreamPi that’s 1B compatible?

3) Will the ethernet wireless bridge still need a DMZ or does Wireless automatically solve that problem?

4) I’m afraid to do operations when on the Pi operating Table. I would prefer them to be on the Macintosh Terminal Table so I can Copy and Paste. And please, when giving commands use white text to mean "literal" characters, and Red Text to indicate "variable" text

5) I’m not sure of the exact steps. Is all I have to load Dreampi 1.6 (or earlier if not 1.6) or do I have to load NOOBS with it? If so which version? It’s kind of important that I know asap. Remember: 1.6 Mb/s inbound internet. I don’t have all day getting 2 Gig to load + another 2 Gig for Noobs, especially if it’s not needed.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#24 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:19 pm

second of all buying a buying a Raspberry Pi 3 for $35 is not the same as buying a DreamPi for $35. If a Dreampi with Pi 3 DID cost $35, complete out of the box, with everything I need wihtout the labor of installing the USB, HDMI, and ethernet ports, and the power cord, and running it into the voltage line inducer, then I would get one next month if that makes a dreampi that can play every dreamcast game worth it.

By the way is each new edition just additional code to run new games and doens’t fundamaentally change the programing of the DreamPi, or do you need the higher up Pi to run for example NFL 2K2, because the code was added in 1.7, and you need Pi 3 to run DreamPi 1.7?

Xiden
Developer

Post#25 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:02 am

tripletopper wrote:First of all, the sent picture shows a power wire going from the USB port into some sort of "sillly putty egg" and then, coming out of it, 2 Telephone male cable ends. I assume that’s the voltage inducer, because before I upgraded, I don’t know which version of Dream Pi I had, yet it worked in getting me websites using the Planet Web Browser.

I just had issues dealing with the ethernet connection for gaming, because of the Frontier DSL Netgear 7550 gateway, Because some versions of them have DMZ and one other feature switched, and some do not.

Also it’s unclear whether you need a separate modem and router or a gateway. Yet Frontier said even as far back as 2013 when we got DSL, they never made separate DSL modems and routers. Straight routers are easy to find. IT’s the DSL modem that’s tough.

Also adding to the problem is there is a seocnd wireless node closer to my room. It’s in wireless N range, but my 3DS only uses WIreless G, so I had to extend the signal, and sometimes Xbox is giving closed nat types. Then again my speed is 1.6 Mb/s in 400 kb/s out at the best of times.

So a couple of questions.

1) Will the newest version of Dreampi that runs with a 1B work with the following:

a) Ethernet-based Wi-Fi Bridges
b) Sega Swirl and Gmail

2) What IS the latest version of DreamPi that’s 1B compatible?

3) Will the ethernet wireless bridge still need a DMZ or does Wireless automatically solve that problem?

4) I’m afraid to do operations when on the Pi operating Table. I would prefer them to be on the Macintosh Terminal Table so I can Copy and Paste. And please, when giving commands use white text to mean "literal" characters, and Red Text to indicate "variable" text

5) I’m not sure of the exact steps. Is all I have to load Dreampi 1.6 (or earlier if not 1.6) or do I have to load NOOBS with it? If so which version? It’s kind of important that I know asap. Remember: 1.6 Mb/s inbound internet. I don’t have all day getting 2 Gig to load + another 2 Gig for Noobs, especially if it’s not needed.

---------------------☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

1) if it runs then yes on gmail. I don't know anything about your ethernet wifi bridge adapter man, that's something you will need to research on google on how to setup and if its linux compatible. Beyond using just a basic ethernet cord, you introduce a another point of possible failure in your connection.

2) send a pm to kazade or pcwzrd13. Kazade wrote it but pcwzrd13 may know the compatibility.

3)Wherever you are ultimately connected to needs either port fowarding or dmz settings

4) what commands are you talking about?

5) i don't have a mac so I have no idea how to further assist you with flashing it. I recommend searching a youtube tutorial on how to flash with apple pi baker. If anyone here that has a mac can chime in on how to flash please do.

Your setup is far different and very unique, the more custom a setup, the more complex it gets to help you. If you were able to surf the net before id suggest just revert back to what you had then. Your dsl provider should be able to tell you how to port foward or dmz. Good luck!

Xiden
Developer

Post#26 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:28 am

Follow this video tutorial, except obviously use your downloaded dreampi image. He shows u how to flash a raspberry pi. After u flash it plug it in to your tv and u should get an image on screen.

https://youtu.be/RQYuMNUUeBQ

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#27 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:10 pm

First, my Dreampi program came pre-loaded. Just hook up and play for web surfing.

Second when searching "Vonets Linux" I found specific things about the Vonets device. First is you don’t need a separate driver for an ethernet based connection. But there is a problem with timing. I’m hoping the timing issue is just the boot time of the Vonets Bridge. So waiting a minute or 2 should get it working so the Dreampi can call it instantly, when the Pi is ready. I assume the Dreampi calling for the internet when it’s "dry" would cause a crash/stop. If that’s the case, I hope I can power my Vonets device early and not have to do surgery with a built in delay. I’l wait a minute if it means not operating on the Unix table.

Third I would use ethernet first, but there are 2 problems. I’m having trouble DMZing because Frontier's special Netgear 7550 Gateway mixes up DMZ and some other feature. Plus the fact they never made a separate router that isn’t a gateway from Frontier makes it doubly tough.

The reason why I’m using wifi is two fold.

First, I read there are less DMZ issues with a single connection Wi FI adapter than a Router and Gateway. I even turned off the wireless routing and made it strictly a WiFi-to-ethernet bridge. And second, is I might want to use it with Sprint Cellular WiFi device.

I know it hasn’t been tested because most normal people have enough home internet where home internet is adequate. My home internet is 1.6 Mb/s in 400 k/s out. 1) Is that enough for Dreampi, or does it take more than 33k in, 33 k out with all the other steps involved, meaning you need a faster network to pare it down to 33k in, 33 k out? 2) I’m having troubles with my Frontier Internet, and Frontier won’t help me because it’s not a part of basic tech support to deal with gaming. I have to pay a tech support fee fo $40 just to talk to them about it. I want to see if WiFI resolves the DMZ automatically, or if Sprint would be of more help, assuming their connection is compatible.

Fourth I was given advice to Etcher once and Apple Pi-Baker once. Apple Pi-Baker has a feature called NOOBS. Do I have to a) download a version of NOOBS, or does it come pre-baked in Apple Pi? I have to kind of know this s I know wether to download it again or not and which version, and with my bandwidth, I can not just turn it on for 5 minutes. I have to dowload for an hour or 2.

I keep asking this question, but everyone says to use the Pi output. I understand that’s the optimal way, but I know enough about command line where that’s a very deliberate thing to do. I could mistype the command, and have (for comedic example) 'run' become 'ruin'. PLus I don’t know what’s a variable and what’s a literal. (for example typing "run filename" and not replacing "filename" with the actual file name is misunderstanding a variable as a literal. if something is red, I know not to type the word "something" blindly, but toi find out what the something represents.

I would like to put the SD card in the USB drive, enter Apple Terminal, which is basically Unix, and "operate" the Sega Swirl Gmail code on the DreamPI while the patient is sleeping and not awake and reactive. it’s a lot harder to make a typo if i Copy and paste, and there’s no web search on Pi, so I need something with a web interface, and using Mac Terminal for one command I can copy and paste with care is a lot easier than reading shorthand code. You can cop from a website and paste into Terminal as a line command. Possibly the best of both worlds, powerful and more dummy-proof.

Sorry to Columbo, but One last thing... Does DreamPi work with every game, like NFL, NBA, NCAA, WSB, and Ooga Booga, ie the Visual Concepts games? Or is that only 1.7. If I need 1.7, will a stable version of 1.7 work on a Pi 1B eventually? Do I ned a larger SD card than 4 GB? if we need to talk upgrades in Pi machines, I need help assembling it. ( I assume you assemble it), as in soldering it, etc.. If it isn’t let me know, If it’s as easy as load and buy, I’ll do that. I’ll buy a newer pi, the line voltage induced modem, and just stick the existing program in the SD slot. Is it as simple as that? I heard a Pi 3 has built in WiFI. And I’ll give away a hand customized Pi 1B with DreamPi and hard wired voltage induced Telephone cable in a year long contest on my twitch stream, once I get cellular and stream video out.)
Last edited by tripletopper on Sun May 19, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiden
Developer

Post#28 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:27 pm

tripletopper wrote:First, my Dreampi program came pre-loaded. Just hook up and play for web surfing.

Second when searching "Vonets Linux" I found specific things about the Vonets device. First is you don’t need a separate driver for an ethernet based connection. But there is a problem with timing. I’m hoping the timing issue is just the boot time of the Vonets Bridge. So waiting a minute or 2 should get it working so the Dreampi can call it instantly, when the Pi is ready. I assume the Dreampi calling for the internet when it’s "dry" would cause a crash/stop. If that’s the case, I hope I can power my Vonets device early and not have to do surgery with a built in delay. I’l wait a minute if it means not operating on the Unix table.

Third I would use ethernet first, but there are 2 problems. I’m having trouble DMZing because Frontier's special Netgear 7550 Gateway mixes up DMZ and some other feature. Plus the fact they never made a separate router that isn’t a gateway from Frontier makes it doubly tough.

The reason why I’m using wifi is two fold.

First, I read there are less DMZ issues with a single connection Wi FI adapter than a Router and Gateway. I even turned off the wireless routing and made it strictly a WiFi-to-ethernet bridge. And second, is I might want to use it with Sprint Cellular WiFi device.

I know it hasn’t been tested because most normal people have enough home internet where home internet is adequate. My home internet is 1.6 Mb/s in 400 k/s out. 1) Is that enough for Dreampi, or does it take more than 33k in, 33 k out with all the other steps involved, meaning you need a faster network to pare it down to 33k in, 33 k out? 2) I’m having troubles with my Frontier Internet, and Frontier won’t help me because it’s not a part of basic tech support to deal with gaming. I have to pay a tech support fee fo $40 just to talk to them about it. I want to see if WiFI resolves the DMZ automatically, or if Sprint would be of more help, assuming their connection is compatible.

Fourth I was given advice to Etcher once and Apple Pi-Baker once. Apple Pi-Baker has a feature called NOOBS. Do I have to a) download a version of NOOBS, or does it come pre-baked in Apple Pi? I have to kind of know this s I know wether to download it again or not and which version, and with my bandwidth, I can not just turn it on for 5 minutes. I have to dowload for an hour or 2.

I keep asking this question, but everyone says to use the Pi output. I understand that’s the optimal way, but I know enough about command line where that’s a very deliberate thing to do. I could mistype the command, and have (for comedic example) 'run' become 'ruin'. PLus I don’t know what’s a variable and what’s a literal. (for example typing "run filename" and not replacing "filename" with the actual file name is misunderstanding a variable as a literal. if something is red, I know not to type the word "something" blindly, but toi find out what the something represents.

I would like to put the SD card in the USB drive, enter Apple Terminal, which is basically Unix, and "operate" the Sega Swirl Gmail code on the DreamPI while the patient is sleeping and not awake and reactive. it’s a lot harder to make a typo if i Copy and paste, and there’s no web search on Pi, so I need something with a web interface, and using Mac Terminal for one command I can copy and paste with care is a lot easier than reading shorthand code. You can cop from a website and paste into Terminal as a line command. Possibly the best of both worlds, powerful and more dummyproof.

Pc tells me your pi will work with dreampi 1.7 so that's good news. You can use Etcher or whatever other program you desire to flash the image to your sd card if you know how to use it.

You can only copy the gmail.sh file to the sdcard. You have to run the file within your raspberry pi to modify/execute it.

Connect the pi to your network with sdcard installed
that has a flashed dream pi image and plug it in.

If you want to modify with a terminal program u need to find the ip address of your pi to connect to it. I do not know how to do this with a mac. Alternatively you can plug a hdmi cable into it and to your tv plus a usb keyboard into the pi to access it.

Once it boots type 'pi' for username hit enter

Password is raspberry (text will not appear on screen when typing password.

Type : sudo bash /boot/dcgmail.sh
Hit enter

After the installation finishes, type in the following when prompted:

Gmail username: Your email username not including @gmail.com

Gmail password: Your Gmail password

Local Pop Password: This is the password you will use when setting up the email account in the Dreamcast web browser. Enter anything you want.

Then pi will print out what u need to type into the dreamcast

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#29 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:34 pm

So what you’re saying is I can't drop the dormant Dreampi card in the USB slot on the Macintosh and operate in Pi Directly on the SD Card itself using unix commands, am I right? I either have to network or manually type. I can’t operate in Unix directly via USB slot.

No one wants to seem to answer that question. They say this path is good, and that path is good, but don’t say whether MY path is a legitimate path or not.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#30 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Just reread. You said the Pi has to be running for it to work. Just wondering if the Dreampi Card can be "active" while in Unix Terminal Mode on a Macintosh. I guess the answer depends on if it modifies the hardware, or if it modifies the software.

If it’s the hardware, I see no other choice than your route or networking it, which might be even riskier, but if it’s the software, this could be a copy/paste-friendly way to do this with less chance of an error.

Also are all the letters in the unix command literals, or are there some variables in the mix? For readier human reading, please indicate variables in red. I understand you want one color text when typing it, but for reading and understanding it, color makes it clearer to us soul-filled yet not-as-mathematically-logical entities. Computers are a pure math and logic player. It’s a non-organic silicon-based Vulcan.