DreamPi help needed:Macintosh, running Pi, and Vonets device

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: DreamPi help needed:Macintosh, running Pi, and Vonets device

Post#31 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:13 pm

tripletopper wrote:Just reread. You said the Pi has to be running for it to work. Just wondering if the Dreampi Card can be "active" while in Unix Terminal Mode on a Macintosh. I guess the answer depends on if it modifies the hardware, or if it modifies the software.

If it’s the hardware, I see no other choice than your route or networking it, which might be even riskier, but if it’s the software, this could be a copy/paste-friendly way to do this with less chance of an error.

Also are all the letters in the unix command literals, or are there some variables in the mix? For readier human reading, please indicate variables in red. I understand you want one color text when typing it, but for reading and understanding it, color makes it clearer to us soul-filled yet not-as-mathematically-logical entities. Computers are a pure math and logic player. It’s a non-organic silicon-based Vulcan.

Turn the pi on with sd card installed... just like you have before when you ran dreampi. Other than installing a emulator, which I cannot you provide support for.

sudo bash /boot/dcgmail.sh
Press enter there are no variables other than your email address and your password, follow on screen prompts once it installs.
Its very easy to follow prompts. If you make a typing error, you can hit delete key. I cannot make it any easier than that man.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#32 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Okay, it sounds relatively easy. I can see that’s about 20 characters. Thank you, will try now.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#33 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:42 pm

mazonemayu wrote:You need a tool called ApplePi Baker, this flashes the image to the sd card, once that is done, you're ready to go. it's easy as pie (pun intended), you select your sd card on the left side (blue), browse to the image where it says IMG file on the right, click restore backup & wait. Takes 2 minutes or so, your sd card is now ready for your raspberry

Hey @mazonemayu ! A question about Apple PI Baker. It's apparently not as easy as Pi. It's as hard as 4/1 - 4/3 + 4/5 - 4/7 + 4/9 - 4/11 + ... You'll just keep going on forever. .)

When I'm trying to run dreampi directly on my TV, all I get is a black screen

Let me see if I got the steps to get there. Something's wrong here. If nothing's wrong, why no command line prompt when plugged into a CRT TV? These are the steps I took. Correct me where I'm wrong... Luckily I got the original .7z files of both Dreampi 1.6 AND 1.7 so I don't ave to re-download. (unless they're corrupted due to slow internet and the computer sleeping while downloading. Remember: 1.6 Mb/s in.)

1) Download DreamPi 1.7 (or 1.6 if too many errors on 1.7)
2) download Apple Pi Baker.
3) insert SD card in USB slot
4) Run Zipeg to extract the zip file
5) Run Apple Pi
6) Prepare disc with the Noobs button
7) find extracted .img file in download folder and select it as the image to "bake"
8) "bake" and wait. Uncheck auto eject
9) drag and drop Gmail .sh file, then Eject.
10) we'll cross the gmail bridge once the command line prompts show up on either the HDMI TV or the Composite through CRT TV shows up. Currently neither show up

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#34 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:09 am

Maybe I should "bake" the .7z file directly instead of extracting it in Zipeg. It beats doing the same thing over again.

Insanity by definition is doing the exact same thing in every way and expecting a different result.

I also learned how not to bake a Pi image. Edison's "9999 failed attempts" to make a light bulb were Edison successfully eliminating untested, but proven-by-Edison ways that were non-working, inefficient, expensive, and otherwise not good ways to make light bulbs.