A little command line help

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

A little command line help

Post#1 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:06 pm

1) Can I operate on the Rapserry Pi using the SD card reader in a Macintosh and use Terminal as an operating table? The reason why I ask is because the nature of command line is not use friendly, and one mistype can either temporarily or permanently screw you. (the old Applesoft Basic joke was typing "RUIN" instead of "RUN", Thankfully, the Apple didn’t decide to rewrite the program with random bits or make "ruin" a command to ruin a program randomly.) Instead of hand-typing, I can copy and paste and be more sure I’m making less mistakes.

Also maybe you should white text to mean literal text and red text to mean variable text. so something like "filename.img" or "disc#s2"

2) Can I drop the Sega Swirl Gmail file and the WiFiPi file in the SD drive with just drag and drop, and THEN from there, operate, or must I load them on in a special way, kind of like flashing the SD card to work with Pi as the boot program?

3) Two questions about WIFIPI. The Dreasmcastic videos assume you use a USB wi FI device. What if you’re using an Ethernet based WiFi Bridge? Do I either need the special DreamPi code embedded, and/or my DMZ on to the .98? Finally, I read things about Frontier DSL having mixed up DMZ are some other function on some models of the Frontier version of a Netgear 7550, and not others. Frontier wants to charge me money for customer service because it’s not "basic tech support" pertaining to the "connection itself or working on computers". A little help would be nice.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: A little command line help

Post#2 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:46 pm

so has anyone released a stand-alone sega swirl selfboot yet?
i know there are isos of swirl that are bundled with other games.
and of course the original odcm browser disk.
hopefully posting this some1 will either make a selfboot or upload an old one, so i don't have to.
because i don't want to lol

and tripletopper sry to somewhat derail your op.
but, tbh ive never messed with dreampi.
plenty of ppl here can help you setup everything though.
good luck.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#3 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:44 pm

SMiTH wrote:so has anyone released a stand-alone sega swirl selfboot yet?
i know there are isos of swirl that are bundled with other games.
and of course the original odcm browser disk.
hopefully posting this some1 will either make a selfboot or upload an old one, so i don't have to.
because i don't want to lol

and tripletopper sry to somewhat derail your op.
but, tbh ive never messed with dreampi.
plenty of ppl here can help you setup everything though.
good luck.

I’ve been known to throw things into tangents, so now I’ll BE THROWN into tangent WITH a tangent.

I guess someone could make a CD or JUST Sega Swirl, but that would like a waste of a CD R when there are plenty of GDs that have it built in. I guess if someone doesn’t want 1 minute of extra load time, that might be valuable. Not worth it for me. Chances are ANY ODCM disc that doesn’t have 2 one tIme special games would have Sega Swirl.

Speaking of Official Dremacast Magazine exclusives, any one besides me have either Super Boom Track Treaders( ?!?!? not exactly an easy name to remember. If only it would have been online. I’d be like playing a newer version of 2600 Combat’s Tanks but online) and Toy Commander Christmas, the second most popular free Christmas game for a Sega System after Christmas Nights. (Blockbuster Video made Christmas Nights first)

Are there any Retrobrew Dreamcast games that use the dial-up modem feature and would work with Dremapi. I might want to buy some of these discs. That would be the coolest thing is if these retrobrewers can make online games. it would encourage buying hard media for real hardware. I would like to support THESE indies, because the Xbox One Creator’s Collection no longer has online play. But Low bandwidth independent games would make the Dremacast Retrobrew scene worth supporting.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#4 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Seriously, if the commands are the same whether they are directly on the DreamPi, or whether the Dreampi boot is resting on my Macintosh awaiting commands in terminal mode, then tell me so I can cut and paste the commands and be sure not to mistype.

If they're going to be different, is it as simple as changing the directory to the boot disc of the external SD Slot? If so what must I change. You can literally type it and I can copy and paste the Terminal commands. I do not like messing around with command line terminal functions, unless it's as simple as copy/paste, and doesn't affect my Mac OSX.

One program asked me to go into Terminal in order to install for Mac OSX, and I said no thanks. It's not worth it to save $1 from the Apple store.

I know mistyping things where each letter is a code or command is tough enough in BASIC where it reads somewhat like Mathematical English. One mistype turns RUN into RUIN. (thankfully there is no RUIN command, let alone one that randomly replaces half the bits and switches them opposite.) And in these command line entries, which is a LOT LESS ENGLISH-LIKE, mistypes are not as easy to find or as funny as RUN being RUIN. Plus, if it sets off the wrong command instead of just saying "error", if you don't understand what your mistyping means in code-ese, it's hard enough to reverse it if you know what you're doing, let alone a total stranger to Unix.

I'd like to use my Mac for copy and paste, but if it's not possible, let me know so I can limit the damage to just the DreamPi Boot instead of involving my Mac.