What are "Offline" games in the games section?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SpaghettiCat
rebel

What are "Offline" games in the games section?

Post#1 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:45 am

Over here: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/games

I see at the bottom a bunch of games are listed as "Offline", like Daytona USA. What is the significance of this?

Did they use to be online via Dreamcast Now, and were shut down?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: What are "Offline" games in the games section?

Post#2 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:55 am

It means there are no private servers to play them online yet. They haven't been brought back since their official servers closed.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Post#3 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 am

Aleron Ives wrote:It means there are no private servers to play them online yet. They haven't been brought back since their official servers closed.

I thought there were quite a few more online DC games. All those "for Matching Service" titles for example, like:

Super Street Fighter II X (for Matching Service)
Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service
Super Puzzle Fighter II X for Matching Service

The list seems too short

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 am

Online Now: You can play all of these games online
Work in Progress: These games are being worked on currently
Offline: These games have not yet been revived and still need to be worked on

I believe it includes every online game from the US and PAL regions. We know about the many other online Japanese games, but those aren't on there. If I had to guess why, it's probably because even starting to get those to work would be very difficult and require intimate knowledge of a specific Japanese telephone switcher company.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:04 am

SpaghettiCat wrote:I thought there were quite a few more online DC games. All those "for Matching Service" titles for example, like:

Super Street Fighter II X (for Matching Service)
Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service
Super Puzzle Fighter II X for Matching Service

The list seems too short

As Ragfish stated, the list only includes US and PAL games at the moment. I'm too lazy to add all the Japanese titles. lol They will be added 1-by-1 if they're revived at some point. In the meantime there's a full list here.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Post#6 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:05 am

ReaderRagfish wrote:I believe it includes every online game from the US and PAL regions. We know about the many other online Japanese games, but those aren't on there. If I had to guess why, it's probably because even starting to get those to work would be very difficult and require intimate knowledge of a specific Japanese telephone switcher company.

I see. In that case the engineers have made great progress! Most of the games can be played online.

(I hope that eventually Street Fighter Alpha 3 would become Work In Progress, as the fighting genre is not represented in the current Online lineup sadly. And neither are there any fighting games on the compatibility lists of Xlink Kai for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. Would be a first! :D )

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:26 am

SpaghettiCat wrote:(I hope that eventually Street Fighter Alpha 3 would become Work In Progress, as the fighting genre is not represented in the current Online lineup sadly. And neither are there any fighting games on the compatibility lists of Xlink Kai for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. Would be a first! :D )

I'm a big Street Fighter fan and would love to see Alpha 3 on Dreamcast restored, but as shown on the games list, that game didn't actually have online multiplayer, just DLC.

I also noticed that playing fighting games from that era online is usually not supported. Though many of them have received ports with online support on newer consoles. So if you're just looking to play Third Strike online, you've got a few options.

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Post#8 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:52 am

ReaderRagfish wrote:I'm a big Street Fighter fan and would love to see Alpha 3 on Dreamcast restored, but as shown on the games list, that game didn't actually have online multiplayer, just DLC.

Oh, that's quite disappointing.

I also noticed that playing fighting games from that era online is usually not supported. Though many of them have received ports with online support on newer consoles. So if you're just looking to play Third Strike online, you've got a few options.

I have a different impression: the DC had a whole bunch of Japan-exclusive "Match Service" fighting games that played online. Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 had online on the Xbox or PS2 (again, only in Japan). Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on the Xbox had online worldwide. So it was definitely done, and definitely possible.

I know I can play these games on newer consoles, but I love old school consoles and it would have been great to brawl and punch the life out of each other on the Dreamcast nights :)

What I wonder is why does it seem like East Asia is so disinterested in keeping the retro scene alive and bringing old games back to life, whereas the US and Europe are doing a lot of work, like with Dreamcast Now. Would be nice if they were just as interested and reverse engineered the online play on their Mach Service games.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#9 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:09 am

I was referring to ones currently online. Japanese Dreamcast and Xbox Live had quite a few online fighting games back in the day. But very few of them are playable today.

Sega RPG

Post#10 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 am

SpaghettiCat wrote:
ReaderRagfish wrote:I'm a big Street Fighter fan and would love to see Alpha 3 on Dreamcast restored, but as shown on the games list, that game didn't actually have online multiplayer, just DLC.

Oh, that's quite disappointing.

I have a different impression: the DC had a whole bunch of Japan-exclusive "Match Service" fighting games that played online. Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 had online on the Xbox or PS2 (again, only in Japan). Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on the Xbox had online worldwide. So it was definitely done, and definitely possible.

I know I can play these games on newer consoles, but I love old school consoles and it would have been great to brawl and punch the life out of each other on the Dreamcast nights :)

What I wonder is why does it seem like East Asia is so disinterested in keeping the retro scene alive and bringing old games back to life, whereas the US and Europe are doing a lot of work, like with Dreamcast Now. Would be nice if they were just as interested and reverse engineered the online play on their Mach Service games.

street fighter third strike had online but only in the matching service japanese edition, and as others pointed out already it's very hard to revive japanese games, plus third strike for matching service should cost around 200/250€...