DreamPi hacked... some questions.

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dcnigma
lithium

DreamPi hacked... some questions.

Post#1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:09 am

I think my Dreampi was hacked.

Yesterday night I openend DMZ for my PI and left the default password :roll: open..
this morning i tried ssh to it but it refused the password.
tried this link https://howtoraspberrypi.com/recover-password-raspberry-pi/ to get back in it.
No luck, already back online flashed a new SD card, a 2GB card now as the 16GB that got hacked,
( 16GB is overkill for DreamPi :P )
And changed the default password after first boot....

:!: Did expect that my Pi would be hacked that quick its been online for like 8 hours or less.

:?: But still want to know if there is something to check if i am really hack and not corrupt sd card...
I can write to the card so i think i can rule out corrupt SD card. But are there things I can check?
Check out my website http://dcnigma.eu5.org just a personal blog/website.
To keep track of my projects, Arcade Cabinets, Dreamcast mods, Raspberry Pi mods, Software, Design,
Homebrew Games, Rom Hacks, 3D prints, Strange things and many more :D :D :D

kazade
Developer

Re: DreamPi hacked... some questions.

Post#2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:23 am

Ouch this didn't even occur to me. Dreampi has a default pi username and password and SSH enabled!!!

Which is fine, as long as you don't expose port 22 to the outside world! Which presumably DMZ does!

**Everyone change the default password or do not expose port 22 via your router!!**

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 am

Well this is easily avoided if you don't open ports to your Pi. There's no reason to do that. When you set up port forwarding / DMZ, you want to do it to the Dreamcast's IP address, not the Pi's.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:23 am

never go full pi dmz...

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#5 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:23 pm

I have never done anything with my DreamPi other than the intructions that came with it. Will I be ok?

Also, PC - are you a Stargate fan? "Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666"?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:47 pm

If you're unsure what address is assigned to your Dreamcast, connect to Quake 3 briefly tells you it

DMZ onto that, not the Pi!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:50 pm

ERVOSCV wrote:I have never done anything with my DreamPi other than the intructions that came with it. Will I be ok?

You're fine as long as you don't DMZ to the Pi's IP address.

ERVOSCV wrote:Also, PC - are you a Stargate fan? "Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666"?

Yep! Well with the exception of Stargate Universe. I like to forget that existed. lol
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#8 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:19 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Yep! Well with the exception of Stargate Universe. I like to forget that existed. lol

Thats cool. I just finished watching SG-1, Ark of Truth, and Atlantis for the 1st time. I'm a big scifi guy, just never bothered with it when it was on TV, but thats neither here nor there in this Pi hacking thread, but I had to ask lol.

dcnigma
lithium

Post#9 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Yeah it was stupid to go full DMZ and not to change the default password.. :lol:
But did't think it would happen that quick... :)
But then again its was Saturday night :roll:
Based on the mac address they could see that it was a Raspberry. All berry's start with this mac address b8:27:eb:XX:XX:XX

It's freaky that it happend so quick. My first modem was in bridge modes and I remember that one day I was lazy to check the ip of my xbox.
So I did a lan scan my pc was connected directly so the result was not what I expected. Because it returned also everybody that was on the same node as I was. That day I installed a Router/firewall because I needed a home network. And seeing all those different IP's made me scary that someone could get in to my pc.

So I am not surprised that it happend, only that it happend so quick.
And I want to know if there is away to get in to the log . I am just curious to find out what is been done, our how did it :lol: :D

:idea: Also one strange thing to note: my ISP blocks all in coming connection below 1024 for security reasons :shock:
So yes, port 22 is below 1024 so in theory this could not happen.
Maybe policies have changed after I left them 3 years ago. And DMZ is wide open now.
Back when I was working for that ISP I needed to change many ports above 1024 to make servers/services work.
To keep track of my projects, Arcade Cabinets, Dreamcast mods, Raspberry Pi mods, Software, Design,

dcnigma
lithium

Post#10 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:31 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Well this is easily avoided if you don't open ports to your Pi. There's no reason to do that. When you set up port forwarding / DMZ, you want to do it to the Dreamcast's IP address, not the Pi's.

Oops I over looked this part of the info. I thought the PI needed DMZ, but makes sense now I think about it that the dreamcast would need the DMZ.. :P Whoops lets fix that :oops: