Help getting DreamPi online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

wokiloki
noob

Help getting DreamPi online

Post#1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Hello everyone! I have been having loads and loads and loads of issues trying to get online and was hoping to get some help from some experienced people. I recently purchased a dreamcast hoping to get online with it. I followed every single tutorial site out there for setting up dreampi and nothing worked and I kept getting a no dial tone or no answer error. I also tried setting up with the PC-DC server using both linux and windows 98 and neither of them worked either. I checked my line voltage inducer and its working and my usb modem has both lights lit up on it and I can connect my dreampi to the dreamcast live servers but I can't make it dial and get an internet signal and I was hoping someone could discord me or something to see if there is something obvious I am missing. Thank you!

Xiden
Developer

Re: Help getting DreamPi online

Post#2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:03 pm

wokiloki wrote:Hello everyone! I have been having loads and loads and loads of issues trying to get online and was hoping to get some help from some experienced people. I recently purchased a dreamcast hoping to get online with it. I followed every single tutorial site out there for setting up dreampi and nothing worked and I kept getting a no dial tone or no answer error. I also tried setting up with the PC-DC server using both linux and windows 98 and neither of them worked either. I checked my line voltage inducer and its working and my usb modem has both lights lit up on it and I can connect my dreampi to the dreamcast live servers but I can't make it dial and get an internet signal and I was hoping someone could discord me or something to see if there is something obvious I am missing. Thank you!

Is this a PAL or NTSC dreamcast? One requires more voltage then the other.
Does one of the lights on the pi go off when the dreamcast dials? Could potentially be a faulty dreamcast modem.

schmidtee
rebel

Post#3 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 am

If you're in England, and you're with sky broadband, I have the same issue and that may solve my problem too.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 am

schmidtee wrote:If you're in England, and you're with sky broadband, I have the same issue and that may solve my problem too.

Your issue is completely different. You can connect to the internet but just can't get on any game servers (DNS issue). wokiloki can't even dial a connection which means either he has a defective line voltage inducer or one that's not providing enough voltage.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

wokiloki
noob

Post#5 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:29 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
schmidtee wrote:If you're in England, and you're with sky broadband, I have the same issue and that may solve my problem too.

Your issue is completely different. You can connect to the internet but just can't get on any game servers (DNS issue). wokiloki can't even dial a connection which means either he has a defective line voltage inducer or one that's not providing enough voltage.

I have a type B modem and should be NTSC and not pal. I used the multimeter on both ends of my circuit and got 9.5V DC so it should be working and I am clueless as to why the dreamcast chooses not to work. It is possible my secondhand Dreamcast has a PAL modem mixed up and I have to add another 9V battery but id rather not risking it

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Well just because you get a steady voltage doesn't mean the LVI is working. There are many things that can go wrong with it. Crossed lines, wrong components (resistor value too high or low), loose connection, etc...

It could be an incompatible USB modem as well. What kind are you using?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

wokiloki
noob

Post#7 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:06 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Well just because you get a steady voltage doesn't mean the LVI is working. There are many things that can go wrong with it. Crossed lines, wrong components (resistor value too high or low), loose connection, etc...

It could be an incompatible USB modem as well. What kind are you using?

The modem I found is a Conexant modem I found on Amazon and I have verified it works in my computer and VM but I don't know if that is the problem or not. It does work in a Windows 98 VM I made, however I cannot get the modem to work with my dreamcast anyways.

wokiloki
noob

Post#8 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 pm

I have decided to just get the DreamPi kit instead of having all of this hassle of cheap offbrand stuff. Thank you all for the help anyways