Cannot play Next Tetris Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Cannot play Next Tetris Online

Post#1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:54 am

I use a DreamPi to go online, and I've successfully created an account and entered the lobby. I received a challenge from user "Dennjo" and I accepted it, then it goes into the game screen and for 30 seconds it says "Synchronizing with remote player; get ready to play". However, this timed out ("Failed to synchronize with opponent") and we were thrown back to the account selection screen. We tried again, but same result. It also happened with a user "DreamcastUK", so I assume the issue is on my end.

Port 3512 TCP and UDP is forwarded on my router like the guide recommends, and MTU is set to 1400. I have successfully played a other games online with this setup (PSO, Quake).

Anybody had this issue or know how to fix it?

Sega RPG

Re: Cannot play Next Tetris Online

Post#2 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:16 am

i don't have a fix, sorry, but i have an advice, i have dmz'ed my dreamcast on my modem settings and i solved all my problems with alien front online, maybe doing the same will help you?

just in case the dc adress ends with .98

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#3 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:54 am

I tried to play a game with Dennijo and had the same results when attempting both matches with yourself and Dennijo.

I’ve followed all the steps in the connection guide but doesn’t work.

The only two games that don’t work for me are Worms World Party and now The Next Tetris.

Every other game works fine
So guess I can’t play either of these two online
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:16 pm

SpaghettiCat wrote:I use a DreamPi to go online, and I've successfully created an account and entered the lobby. I received a challenge from user "Dennjo" and I accepted it, then it goes into the game screen and for 30 seconds it says "Synchronizing with remote player; get ready to play". However, this timed out ("Failed to synchronize with opponent") and we were thrown back to the account selection screen. We tried again, but same result. It also happened with a user "DreamcastUK", so I assume the issue is on my end.

Port 3512 TCP and UDP is forwarded on my router like the guide recommends, and MTU is set to 1400. I have successfully played a other games online with this setup (PSO, Quake).

Anybody had this issue or know how to fix it?

Are you able to dmz instead of using port forwarding?
I can test next tetris with you today if you want.

2koolpa
photon blast

Post#5 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Yeah, no matter what I do, there are two games that simply don't work online.

Tetris always gives the "unable to sync with opponent" error and starlancer allows me to connect in lobby and see individual game rooms yet I can never successfully join other players.

I've never tried worms.

Neither port forwarding or dmz changes the results. I use dmz for the DC to get all the other online games to work, PSO, q3, 4x4, sports, Monaco, toy racer, etc. And I am competent enough with port forwarding to use it correctly for many applications outside of Dreamcast gaming. So Im confident that I'm correctly applying it to these games when attempting to solve the connection issues with Tetris and starlancer.

It has to be some kind of router compatibility problem or something.

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Post#6 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Xiden wrote:Are you able to dmz instead of using port forwarding?
I can test next tetris with you today if you want.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will have to try DMZ next time I move house. Currently I must use a router that doesn't have a DMZ function, and it's a very specific router (uses SIM card and LTE for countryside locations) that I cannot replace.

Too bad that we can't play together, I had a blast today playing the single player :)