Can I use the DC's 12V rail for the line voltage inducer?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

odsquad64
noob

Can I use the DC's 12V rail for the line voltage inducer?

Post#1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi,
I'm working on doing an internal DreamPi install using a Pi Zero W on my (US) Dreamcast. I've got a USB-GDROM in my Dreamcast, so my 12V rail is going unused. Does anybody know if I can just directly use that 12V for the LVI? I've seen other builds using a boost converter on one of the other rails instead, but if I can do it without that it would save me a few dollars and some space inside the console.

Also, on other internal builds I've also seen people using the 5V rail to power the Pi and the USB modem; has anybody experienced any issues with this? I can't find any info about how much current the Dreamcast PSU can supply, but I'm hoping a few hundred more milliamps on the 5V rail doesn't make a difference.

Thanks for any help.

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Can I use the DC's 12V rail for the line voltage inducer?

Post#2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 pm

yes, you can use 12V for US modem

odsquad64
noob

Post#3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Good to know, thank you!

odsquad64
noob

Post#4 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pm

For anyone else who might be interested in doing a totally internal Dream Pi install and ends up stumbling upon this thread, this did work out perfectly. I used the 12V rail to power the LVI and I also used a cheap UBEC to step the 12V down to 5V to power the Pi and the the USB modem. I'm not sure if I could have just used the 5V rail to power the Pi but since I wasn't using the 12V rail at all otherwise (don't need it with a USB-GDROM), I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry. Below is a diagram to show exactly what I did.

internalDreamPi.png

From the outside the DC looks totally stock. The phone line is running through a hole hidden by the modem and the Pi connects to the network with Wi-Fi. I didn't take any pics because I didn't do a very tidy job on the inside.

MrBlueSky
fire

Post#5 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Very nice. Congrats !
Dreamcast Now: The Blues Brothers