DreamArena 2

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

DreamArena 2

Post#1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm

So I was looking for DreamArena artwork and came across this website, which appears to be a CV for someone involved in SEGA's DreamArena websites back in 1999-2001. Specifically this page refers to a DreamArena 2, where SEGA executives wanted the front page to include more content but be radical looking and imaginative, and it has a picture included with one of the potential concepts for achieving this.

I think it looks awesome! It also fits in with the European Jet Set Radio, Toy Racer and MSR website layouts. The description makes it sound like it was going to utilise the DreamArena mouse more akin to controlling a "character" on the site (likely a mouse overlay) and accessing content more like a video game. It seems the three aforementioned websites wound up a half-measure towards this plan, as they ultimately didn't include a "playable character" interface, but it sounds to me as if it would have been very cool if implemented.

http://www.luc.me.uk/dreamarena-2/

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: DreamArena 2

Post#2 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Here's his uploaded images of the first iteration of DreamArena too.
https://www.luc.me.uk/dreamarena/

SparxsteR
undertow

Post#3 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03 pm

It would be awesome to have the old DreamArena back online.
I think it would be fun to have a place where we could chat, upload save files and get news. (we could even use Dreameye) :)
Have you seen this site? https://www.dreamcastarena.com/#/dreamc ... -community
Have you guys seen the Dreamcast 2?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:19 pm

I have seen that site. Sadly it's HTML3 and doesn't work with Dreamcasts. I've seen the little Sonic pop-up saying it is compatible, but I've just gone on it via Dreamkey 3.0 and there is no site there. It just comes back with "error code: 1010"

It seems the DC code is no longer functioning, if it ever working to begin with. Shame because I'd love to see what they can do with the DC Browser.

EDIT:: Just tried it with XDP Browser 4.0 (from Dreamcastlive), using XDP User Expanded, and the site loads but it's a barebones iteration of the HTML3 page with no imagery and just text. It doesn't load the Dreamcast page at all.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:18 am

Yes, the web is also hateful to our beloved DC.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

MrBlueSky
fire

Post#6 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:21 am

Hey guys just wanted to mention the French website New Dreamarena. I just discovered it but it was created back in December 2002. I must admit I'm quiet impressed with all the available options: a live Chat, a Forum, personal mailbox... There is also an English page, however the Chat does not work on it.

Apparently the community is almost dead. Some former French Dreamarena users sometime post messages but with a very low reply rate :D

Please note that I did not browse the site from a Dreamcast but I assume it's Dreamcast Browser Friendly. Also, you have to register yourself in order to get access.

I think it's a very nice project, especially if you understand French. I couldn't experience the official Dreamarena back in the days and reading all those nostalgic posts from French users is quiet touching.
Dreamcast Now: The Blues Brothers

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#7 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:52 pm

I had thought about building a active dreamarena style website/community a while ago that was optimized for dreamcast.

Having things like:

- User account registed to your dreamcast
- upload/download VMU saves
- live chat
- forums
- whos online with dreampi
- stylised for fast loading, so creative use of tables and fonts instead of jpegs/gifs
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart