Send Dreamcast DLC to Gmail with dcmail DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Blayer98
Anarki

Send Dreamcast DLC to Gmail with dcmail DreamPi

Post#1 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi there,

Really been annoyed with how this is going on atm, I’ve been trying to send a Dreamcast DLC over to my Dreamcast to save on my VMU (using Dreamkey 3.0, dcmail on DreamPi) and every time I attach the file, it sends and Dreamkey shows the email, but if the file has .VMS on it, then the file will not download properly and only be about 5 bytes with a file format of Dreamkey.X00... without a file extension, dcmail never shows that email on Dreamkey...

If I send Dreamcast DLC to any email, it’ll work and I can get the file, but the file appears to be encoded in something similar to base64... (the file name is kept but the contents are encoded)

Can someone please tell me how to get Dreamcast DLC onto my Dreamcast WITHOUT using Dream Explorer since coder’s cables are expensive and I don’t have a BBA, and I’d rather not have to buy additional accessories.

EDIT: The file I’m trying to send is a modified Reebok DLC file for Sonic Adventure. I’ve also tried HFS (Http File System) to no avail, even when using the original DLC files...

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Send Dreamcast DLC to Gmail with dcmail DreamPi

Post#2 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:49 pm

I say you should get a serial port sd reader and DreamShell its a couple bucks but super easy.

Blayer98
Anarki

Post#3 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:52 pm

I’d rather not homebrew my Dreamcast right now... I figured it would be easier sending dlc and other stuff through email...

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Good luck... I cant figure why you wouldnt want to use homebrew but OK.

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Blayer98 wrote:I’d rather not homebrew my Dreamcast right now... I figured it would be easier sending dlc and other stuff through email...

Are you trying to send files from PC broswer to DC? I have yet to find a way to modify the header to get the dreamcast to recognize an attachment.

The easiest way is to setup a html page and simply download the file you need that way. If you have a vms & vmi file I can upload to dreampipe and you can direct download

Blayer98
Anarki

Post#6 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Xiden wrote:
Blayer98 wrote:I’d rather not homebrew my Dreamcast right now... I figured it would be easier sending dlc and other stuff through email...

Are you trying to send files from PC broswer to DC? I have yet to find a way to modify the header to get the dreamcast to recognize an attachment.

The easiest way is to setup a html page and simply download the file you need that way. If you have a vms & vmi file I can upload to dreampipe and you can direct download

Yeah, I’m trying to send files from PC to Dreamcast.
I tried modifying the Reebok DLC for SA1 just to test if editing the DLC could work, but the original VMI doesn’t work on the modified VMS and I don’t know how to create a new VMI...

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:45 am

Blayer98 wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Yeah, I’m trying to send files from PC to Dreamcast.
I tried modifying the Reebok DLC for SA1 just to test if editing the DLC could work, but the original VMI doesn’t work on the modified VMS and I don’t know how to create a new VMI...

I know PCWzrd13 is the VMI king. I remember asking him awhile back... I was digging through pm's to see if I could find where I asked about it at one point but too much clutter. I think he can tell you where to get a VMI maker. If he does do you mind sharing it here :D

MrBlueSky
fire

Post#8 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:09 am

I don't know if it still works but did you try to use the Blue Swirl Website? http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/
Dreamcast Now: The Blues Brothers

Blayer98
Anarki

Post#9 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:49 am

I tried using that website but I don’t fully understand it...

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#10 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:21 am

I'll write a guide about this soon. It will require Thunderbird.