VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
willymeaux
shadow
Posts: 8

VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:40 pm

https://youtu.be/I9Y5oOt3NDY

Ever since I've moved, I have not been able to connect to any game servers of the dreampi compatible games. My Pi connects to the Dreamcast now servers and dials up but it will not connect to any game's servers I try. I have no idea what is going on. Any help would be appreciated!

User avatar
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Posts: 3778
Contact:

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:49 pm

My DNS setup is:
DNS1: 46.101.91.123
DNS2: 8.8.8.8

Works every time for me.

To note, it looked like you were connected to the Q3 server but it just couldn't find the master server list. You "can" enter a server manually but since I have used the above, it always finds the Q3 servers.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

willymeaux
shadow
Posts: 8

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#3 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:33 pm

I've tried connecting to a server manually a while back and had no luck. I get a similar errors with every game I seem to try. I can post another video of an error if that'll help.

ETA: I tried changing my DNS to what you posted and still no luck. :(

User avatar
Xiden
Resident Evil
Posts: 1790

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#4 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:24 am

willymeaux wrote:I've tried connecting to a server manually a while back and had no luck. I get a similar errors with every game I seem to try. I can post another video of an error if that'll help.

ETA: I tried changing my DNS to what you posted and still no luck. :(


You could try to dmz your dreamcasts ip, which is the ip that it shows on quake when it says "connected" and try that. Maybe a port is being blocked.

willymeaux
shadow
Posts: 8

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#5 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:01 am

Ive found the dreampi in my U-verse modem setting and put it in what it calls DMZplus (I don't see a standard DMZ mode). Now should I look for a separate IP address for my dreamcast or is that the one I should DMZ? How would I go about finding it and DMZing it?

User avatar
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Posts: 3778
Contact:

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#6 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:43 am

To DMZ your Dreamcast, find your IP address, then mimic the first three sets of numbers of your router but have it end in .98.

Example: 192.168.0.98
This is my setting. Be sure the range of your router allows for this.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 6083
Contact:

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#7 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:13 am

willymeaux wrote:Ive found the dreampi in my U-verse modem setting and put it in what it calls DMZplus


Noooo! Don't do that! You should never DMZ the Pi. Only the Dreamcast itself which is the IP that ends in .98. DMZing your Pi is a security risk (allows anyone on the internet to access it) so I would fix that ASAP.

Anyway, that being said, DMZ is not the problem here. You would be able to connect to servers regardless of if you had that set up or not. It sounds to me like something else on your network is using the .98 IP address that the Dreamcast is supposed to have. That would cause an IP conflict and the exact symptoms you're describing. You'll need to figure out what device that is (usually your router will have a list of DHCP devices) and change its IP.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

willymeaux
shadow
Posts: 8

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#8 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks PCwzrd! I got it working now after a year of being offline!!!!! I also unDMZd my pi so I think that’s it.

User avatar
Xiden
Resident Evil
Posts: 1790

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#9 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Oh boy I just got Uverse internet myself, so ill be getting my dc set back up soon lol

User avatar
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Posts: 3778
Contact:

Re: VIDEO LINK Dreampi not connecting to game servers

Post#10 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:47 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
willymeaux wrote:Ive found the dreampi in my U-verse modem setting and put it in what it calls DMZplus


Noooo! Don't do that! You should never DMZ the Pi. Only the Dreamcast itself which is the IP that ends in .98. DMZing your Pi is a security risk (allows anyone on the internet to access it) so I would fix that ASAP.

Anyway, that being said, DMZ is not the problem here. You would be able to connect to servers regardless of if you had that set up or not. It sounds to me like something else on your network is using the .98 IP address that the Dreamcast is supposed to have. That would cause an IP conflict and the exact symptoms you're describing. You'll need to figure out what device that is (usually your router will have a list of DHCP devices) and change its IP.


I had hoped my previous settings direct reference of the Dreamcast being DMZ'ed would have helped him. Even your tutorials explain Dreamcast, not Pi, to be DMZ'ed. Glad you chimed in.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Online”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]