How important is it for me to get a unique PSO v2 serial?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: How important is it for me to get a unique PSO v2 serial?

Post#11 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:45 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Save backups from ingame quite mystifying? Supposedly it's partial only and your storeroom can't be saved? But I've seen UGB /load and gets everything no losses..
There's nothing really mystifying about them at all... The server only ever sees your basic character data + your 30 item inventory. It definitely cannot save your banked items.

That said, it also does not overwrite your banked items, so you won't lose anything that is in your storeroom when you run the command to restore your data. However, if you are starting fresh (i.e, if you actually had your VMU save file get corrupted), then there is no way for the server to recover them for you.

Basically, the server-side saving of character data is useful for helping to partially recover from catastrophic failures. If you have some other way of backing up your save file (like with VMU Tool), then you should use that regularly to make sure you don't lose your banked items. However, the server-side thing is a nice fallback in case something does happen, since it backs up every time you enter a team.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#12 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:09 am

If you plan on playing the game, its necessary I'd say. The server side character backup alone is worth it.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#13 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:19 am

@bluecrab, if i remember correctly you have a way to create a unique serial access key for pso for pc users.
couldn't you do the same thing for pso dc users?
maybe even create an app to generate unique keys?
or is this something that is a grey area, that breaks some sort of licensing tos even if it was completely reverse engineered?

seems if you can do this for pc pso, then it should be no issue for dc pso?
for that matter couldn't you generate keys for every compatible version of pso that your server allows?

what if some1 removed the need to use a serial access key all together? not even using shared keys.
is this even possible? seems it would be if the hunters license check was removed already from some versions of the game.
why not allow unencrypted raw save data that uses no keys at all.
i know that it would not allow a unique guild card while on server.

also are there any working pso proxies available?
i know you block the old pso pc version.
not that it really matters, but it is still interesting.
i never got the chance to edit packets on any pso server :(
you guys always blocked the ability to do so which is understandable.
idk just ranting...

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#14 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:06 pm

DC validates your keys. PC does not. You can't make up a random DC serial, as the game will reject it.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#15 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:16 pm

SMiTH wrote:@bluecrab, if i remember correctly you have a way to create a unique serial access key for pso for pc users.
couldn't you do the same thing for pso dc users?
maybe even create an app to generate unique keys?
or is this something that is a grey area, that breaks some sort of licensing tos even if it was completely reverse engineered?

seems if you can do this for pc pso, then it should be no issue for dc pso?
for that matter couldn't you generate keys for every compatible version of pso that your server allows?
As Ives said, the PC version does no validation of the key, where the Dreamcast one does (probably at least partially as a region lock -- since you can't use a US key on a Japanese version of the game, for instance).

what if some1 removed the need to use a serial access key all together? not even using shared keys.
is this even possible? seems it would be if the hunters license check was removed already from some versions of the game.
why not allow unencrypted raw save data that uses no keys at all.
i know that it would not allow a unique guild card while on server.
Therein lies the problem. I'd have no way of uniquely identifying one client from another and no way of persisting the guild cards. Would it be possible to do this, sure. Is anyone going to spend time doing it? Probably not.

also are there any working pso proxies available?
i know you block the old pso pc version.
not that it really matters, but it is still interesting.
i never got the chance to edit packets on any pso server :(
you guys always blocked the ability to do so which is understandable.
idk just ranting...
There are PSO proxies available. In fact, there's one I wrote that you can get the source code for from the Sylverant repositories to compile and use (you have to figure out how to compile it yourself -- there's no documentation and I'm not exactly going to spend time writing it). That said, using them to edit packets and whatnot on Sylverant is a violation of the rules on the server.