Dreamcast Pi Suddenly Unable to Resolve DNS

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

popeyeotaku
noob

Dreamcast Pi Suddenly Unable to Resolve DNS

Post#1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:34 pm

I suddenly and unexpectedly became unable to connect by Dreamcast to my Raspberry Pi that I'm using the dreamcastlive software on. I can connect to the Pi over local SSH just fine however. I'm not too knowledgeable about networking, but I did some looking into, and I'm *pretty* sure the Dreamcast Live distro is supposed to be able to ping google.com :lol: it can properly ping the google ip address however, so it appears (from what I'm reading online) to be an issue with DNS name resolution. However, I am unable to find a fix for my problem even now that I kind of know what's wrong.

azel
fire

Re: Dreamcast Pi Suddenly Unable to Resolve DNS

Post#2 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 pm

The Dreampi DNS appears to be down today. After troubleshooting this for a couple hours I found I wasn't the only one with issues. Pretty annoying TBH.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm

Yeah Kazade's DNS appears to be down. Since he's in the UK and it's after midnight there, he probably won't be able to fix it until tomorrow.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

azel
fire

Post#4 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:14 pm

Wish I would have known this after troubleshooting for 2 hours, reflashing my pi, corrupting my PSO save in the process of trying to connect.

kazade
Developer

Post#5 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 am

I don't see any problems? I just logged in and restarted the DNS service just in case, but it's working fine here:

Code: Select all

$ nslookup google.com 46.101.91.123
Server:      46.101.91.123
Address:   46.101.91.123#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   google.com
Address: 216.58.211.174
Name:   google.com
Address: 2a00:1450:4001:818::200e

azel
fire

Post#6 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:45 am

It was down for everyone all day, pcwzrd said it was possible to use the dc talk IP in /etc/dnsmasq.conf so I did that and connected.

I just edited back to your server and it seems to be working fine though! I just tried and logged into PSO. Thanks!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 am

Quake 3 let me browse now went to Alien Front moved for like half a minute then lost contact with server

EDIT: Cool looks stable now THANX!