Someone is restoring Gundam VS Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Someone is restoring Gundam VS Online

Post#31 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:53 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Shu and I did some testing today. Successfully connected and chatted in the lobby on real hardware. That's as far as we got though. This game is brutally Japanese so it's a bit of a chore to navigate. Also doesn't have keyboard support which is a bummer.

Lobby.jpg

If you have android you could try the google translate video option and see if it can translate on the fly.

That's awesome that you guys were able to chat in the lobby. Hopefully not too much more is needed to get online going :D

Example translation
Screenshot_20200527-135635_Translate.jpg

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#32 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Xiden wrote:If you have android you could try the google translate video option and see if it can translate on the fly.

Yeah we did that. Translation isn't perfect though and it can still be confusing with so many menus. The layout isn't nearly as simple as a lot of the US games.

Anyway, Shu found another video from the guy that made the server which shows the lobby and how to get into an actual game. We're gonna try following that on the next test.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#33 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:10 am

very cool indeed. Is the PS2 version of this the same as the DC one? If so, cross platform vs online?

Banditpaw1
rebel

Post#34 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:35 am

As a fan of the Gundam VS franchise Im excited to play the original online

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#35 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:21 pm

A bit of an update. It appears the reason the game wouldn't start for us is because the game requires a minimum of 4 players. Very strange but that seems to the case. Even in single-player mode, you're always paired with a CPU ally and go up against two CPU opponents. That being said, Shu has modified the server so that it will "clone" each of us to trick the game into thinking there are 4 players. We'll be testing it again soon with this modification. Keep in mind that this is just for testing. Upon making the server public, it will require 4 players.
PSO Characters:

HubbsGVN
shadow

Post#36 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Wait....... there was a Gundam VS game for dc and it was online? I thought the only online gundam game was a weird turn based strategy game.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#37 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 pm

HubbsGVN wrote:Wait....... there was a Gundam VS game for dc and it was online? I thought the only online gundam game was a weird turn based strategy game.

You're thinking of Giren's Greed I think. That one doesn't have an online mode. There are two online Gundam games, Federation vs. Zeon and Gundam Battle Online
PSO Characters:

Shuouma
Developer

Post#38 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Yeah I have modded the server software so it works with the actual hardware + dreampi.

I think the 1vs1 feature needs to be added due to get less lag for people, will look into
a UDP solution that can be deployed on the dreampi and my server.
That is:
dreampi (TCP) -> dreampi (localhost UDP) -> INTERNET (UDP) -> server (UDP) -> server (localhost TCP).
But lets check how bad the lag is on dreampi first.

But even if I do all this, all credit to Inada for the org. server software.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#39 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:59 am

First screenshot! :) Our first test went very well with almost no lag. Of course with 4 players it would likely be a different story. Very fun game though. Looking forward to the server going public!

Gundam.jpg
PSO Characters:

Xiden
Developer

Post#40 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:24 pm

You guys should let inada know u got a low lag solution working on dreamcast hardware :)

Think he would be super pleased to see his server in action on a dreamcast