introducing myself and finally got a BBA (quake 3 / PSO)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Cartoon Head
shadow

introducing myself and finally got a BBA (quake 3 / PSO)

Post#1 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello there everyone :)
as title,

having owed a DC since launch and as its my favourite console i decided to get my self the BBA adaptor, I maybe crazy since i am a pal user and therefore most of my games are pal, but hey iv always wanted to get back online and liked the idea of using original hardware and the broadband adaptor has always appealed to me. i did research over the past months... years... and i just thought you know what i'm going to do it.

so knowing i would probably only have the choice of only 3 games to play i patiently waited for it to arrive. as i really only wanted to try out quake 3 and pso, bit gutted that chuchu doesn't seem to be supported but that's just nostalgia, oh and i would have like to play Ferrari 355 challenge, but anyway beggars can't be choosers and i suspect there would not be many other players if any on anything other than pso and quake,

so i'v waited with my fingers crossed as i did a little more research after looking at my useless PAL library and prepared the versions of the games i want to get back on.

if you are still reading here is the situation so far.

i own pso v1 but its PAL so

downloaded and burnt a disc for pso v2 ntsc-u selfboot and auto connect. aleron ives edition 4.0. configured the bba and it works great logged on selected a ship and so on and all appears to be good, tho i didn't see anyone else there. is there a specific ship to select or lobby ect with most active players?

again i own Q3A PAL and did use dial up a few years back and it worked fine and found servers

i have a quake 3 arena usa self boot and everything looks to work ok but i am getting a cannot connect to master server error can anyone help with this or give me a address for a working server? also i assume as i am getting this error on quake and that pso is working everything at my end is now set up correctly.

any info appreciated .

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: introducing myself and finally got a BBA (quake 3 / PSO)

Post#2 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Welcome! You'll want to set your DNS server for the BBA to 46.101.91.123 in order to see the servers. Not needed for PSO with the auto-connect disc but you'll need it for the other games.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Cartoon Head
shadow

Post#3 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Thankyou I will try that now

Cartoon Head
shadow

Post#4 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:05 pm

It connects but Still same arror

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Cartoon Head wrote:It connects but Still same arror

Hmmm, not sure then. You should still be able to connect to the servers manually even if you can't see the list though. The server IPs can be found here. Just select the "More" button on the bottom right of the server list screen.
PSO Characters:

Cartoon Head
shadow

Post#6 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm

I'll take a look and report back thanks :)

Cartoon Head
shadow

Post#7 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Excellent first one I tried works, thankyou so much.

So apart from the rpi option for other games am I limited to these two games for now or is there any other jiggery pokery or boot able discs with online play, and again thanks for the help very much appreciated.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:48 pm

Cartoon Head wrote:So apart from the rpi option for other games am I limited to these two games for now or is there any other jiggery pokery or boot able discs with online play

You can play Toy Racer and POD SpeedZone as well. There's a connection guide here which will tell you any additional details you might need to connect to specific games.
PSO Characters:

Cartoon Head
shadow

Post#9 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:58 pm

I have toy racer PAL version, I'm assuming that won't work, but the pod rips I tried freeze when loading up, I'm aware there are usually rules to sharing certain links to those types of things but if anyone can help cough cought feel free to p cought m cought me.

Are those quake 3 servers perminant are they worth writing down/printing or do they tend to change

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Cartoon Head wrote:I have toy racer PAL version, I'm assuming that won't work

Toy Racer was a PAL exclusive and oddly enough the only PAL game that supports the BBA. It's kind of a hidden feature as it's not mentioned anywhere. Most likely the devs used it for testing purposes.

Cartoon Head wrote:Are those quake 3 servers perminant are they worth writing down/printing or do they tend to change

Not sure about the others but the Dreamcast-Talk server IP rarely changes.
PSO Characters: